PTO driveshaft replacement

Bavarian

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 6430
In my opinion, that "disc" on your shaft isn't a clutch.
At least not what I know how a clutch looks like

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
I just buy a short length, of the right style shaft, and weld it onto what's already there. That gets me to the overlap that I need.

I've never had any problems doing that, it works perfectly...

SR

old and tired

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2800 hst
I have run different lengths of PTO shafts. I think you need 6" over lap and make sure it doesn't bottom out in the raised position. You can buy just the shaft at Agrisupply (inner or outer shaft). I think it was $60 for 6 feet. I've replace them twice and still have a few feet left over.

EDIT: You have to measure to fine the correct one but here is one example:

Also, this is what a slip clutch looks like, if you mount this you might make the pto drive lone enough...

Last edited:

ROUSTABOUT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
Unsure running two clutches on the same shaft is a wise choice.
An over run clutch will just extend your pro. It's not at all like the slip clutch. It will extend your pto one full length. Plus, it is a pick up and go part at a farm store. 8N tractors and many others need them.

ROUSTABOUT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
I just buy a short length, of the right style shaft, and weld it onto what's already there. That gets me to the overlap that I need.

I've never had any problems doing that, it works perfectly...

SR
I have done that many times. Never a problem.

6string

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, 3005, and '49 8n
I attached a picture, I'm not sure if I can pull it off at the yoke?

It's not even close, the two halves overlap by maybe 1/2 inch when I lower the tiller.

So I guess I need a whole new driveshaft. That leaves me wondering if I need to find one with a clutch, or can I pull this clutch off at the yoke and throw it on a new on. I have purchased PTO shaft assemblies from Agri Supply and have had good results with them and I had to return and swap one once and their customer service dept. was great. I have a 3005 John Deere I till with and I had to cut the shaft really short for it to work and then had to order another to work on my 5105.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
I attached a picture, I'm not sure if I can pull it off at the yoke?

It's not even close, the two halves overlap by maybe 1/2 inch when I lower the tiller.

So I guess I need a whole new driveshaft. That leaves me wondering if I need to find one with a clutch, or can I pull this clutch off at the yoke and throw it on a new one?
If you look closely you'll find that there's a roll/spring pin holding the yoke to the shaft. Just punch it out.

OP
M

MACflyer

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
Thanks everyone. Looks like I can use the clutch and collar/yokes I have and just get new shafts, should be a bit cheaper that way.

CausticUrbanCoast

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi
So I remembered how I removed the yoke... After driving out the spring pin, clamp the drive line tight in a vise with the yoke facing down and hit the top of the yoke on the outside edges.
Seems like a hassle and you still have a ujoint with no grease nipple based on the picture. Then again probably the same amount for work to pull the ujoint.