PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #51  
Bad information from you (as usual).. If the generator has a gas engine, then it will be 2 pole. If it's diesel powered, then 4 pole because diesel engines don't make enough rpm to produce 60 hertz.

Ie: 60 Hz at 3600 rpm (gas)
60 Hz at 1800 rpm (diesel)

My Generac is 4 pole, diesel powered.
th-BS-Meter.jpg

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #52  
It is for the low HP gen sets that we are talking about in this thread. Most get high demand loads (causing voltage sag) placed on them from individuals not being able to manage loads.
If you know how to manage your loads, it not as much of a problem.
I did look up to see if a PTO gen company stated thier pto gensets are for farm use and not for resdential loads.
See link below where it states this for Baumalight 2 pole PTO gensets.
Link basically says, not designed for electronic loads in households or shops.
Here's what Winco says about their 15kw PTO genset,

Low Harmonic Distortion
Provides clean power for both farm and home.

I've run my whole house without any problems at all...

SR

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #53  
2 pole genny's must rotate at 3600 rpm 4 pole 1800 rpm.

Plain and simple.

Diesels don't turn at 3600 rpm that I know of, gas motors do.

My diesel standby is governed to 1800 rpm.

Not complex at all.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #54  
Interesting. My 10kW Leroy Somer 2 pole 3 phase generator spins at 3000 RPM for 50Hz and it's powered by a 25HP Slanzi DVA1030 Air cooled diesel engine that spins at 2500 RPM.

The diesel engine doesn't necessarily needs to spin at the same speed the generator needs to spin.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #55  
   / PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #56  
2 pole genny's must rotate at 3600 rpm 4 pole 1800 rpm.

Plain and simple.

Diesels don't turn at 3600 rpm that I know of, gas motors do.

My diesel standby is governed to 1800 rpm.

Not complex at all.
Kubota and Yanmar both make diesel engines designed to run at 3600 rpm for use in driving small 2 pole generators for 60 hertz power.
Most diesel gensets are 4 pole generator heads with diesel prime movers running at 1800 rpm for the north american market.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #57  
Bad information from you (as usual).. If the generator has a gas engine, then it will be 2 pole. If it's diesel powered, then 4 pole because diesel engines don't make enough rpm to produce 60 hertz.

Ie: 60 Hz at 3600 rpm (gas)
60 Hz at 1800 rpm (diesel)

My Generac is 4 pole, diesel powered.
absolute nonsense. i take care of many gas 4 pole generators. both propane and nat gas.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #59  
Interesting. My 10kW Leroy Somer 2 pole 3 phase generator spins at 3000 RPM for 50Hz and it's powered by a 25HP Slanzi DVA1030 Air cooled diesel engine that spins at 2500 RPM.

The diesel engine doesn't necessarily needs to spin at the same speed the generator needs to spin.

Your 2 pole genny MUST spin at 3000 rpm to produce 50 htz.
Your prime mover can of course be geared to operate at a different speed.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #60  
Your 2 pole genny MUST spin at 3000 rpm to produce 50 htz.
Your prime mover can of course be geared to operate at a different speed.
Of course it can. That's the entire point. The guy was claiming that only gas engines would run 2 pole generator heads, which is obviously false. Not only they can speed up the diesel engine RPM via gears or pulleys and belts, they also make plenty of diesel engines that can work at 3000/3600 RPM all day long, they're just noisier for the most part.

Mine is belt driven and since I don't actually need the 10kW, I got a bigger pulley for the engine and I'm now running the engine at around 1800 RPM. Plenty of power for a 3HP well pump and one of those small 50 liter air compressor. Way less noise and fuel consumption this way.

IMG_20210327_154659.jpg