PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #61  
Ditto what Lou NY said. My Winco 14kW pto generator runs fine with various intermittent ac motors on line (well pumps, fridge, a/c, air compressor, etc.) But I learned not to hook up sensitive electronics (computer, tv, audio amplifiers). Output somewhat unsteady. To get full 120V, the pto runs at 540, so diesel engine running at 2200. Range shift in neutral, trans in 2nd gear to keep lubed. I worry about the tractor standing still, but so far radiator sufficient. No evidence of ovrheating. Gas consump up.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #62  
I was looking at Baumalight's site at the TX12 specifically, and it had a warning in the manual to not use for over 2HP motors or the generator could be damaged. I emailed Baumalight and they confirmed, none of the TX series are rated for more than 2HP regardless of watts, and they recommend the 4 pole KR or QC series. I have a 3HP well pump and need something to power it.

If Baumalight says this, do other manufacturers - Winco, Northstar, IMD, HF- have a similar requirement? I have looked at some of them but have never come across this type of warning.

For those with PTO generators, do you run motors larger than 2 HP and if so, are there any problems or issues?
FWIW, I have a Baumalight TX12 and a 2HP well pump. I've been using it since 2011 and never had any problems.

My manual says nothing about not using it with a 2HP motor. It just says not to use it under overload conditions for more than 2 minutes. I do notice the lights dim a bit when the well pump starts but that's it.

Mine is an older model though so this may be an issue with newer units.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #63  
Of course it can. That's the entire point. The guy was claiming that only gas engines would run 2 pole generator heads, which is obviously false. Not only they can speed up the diesel engine RPM via gears or pulleys and belts, they also make plenty of diesel engines that can work at 3000/3600 RPM all day long, they're just noisier for the most part.

Mine is belt driven and since I don't actually need the 10kW, I got a bigger pulley for the engine and I'm now running the engine at around 1800 RPM. Plenty of power for a 3HP well pump and one of those small 50 liter air compressor. Way less noise and fuel consumption this way.

View attachment 811728
I am constantly amazed by your ingenuity. Nice setup.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #64  
I am constantly amazed by your ingenuity. Nice setup.
Thank you. This one was bought cheap, supposedly with a bad generator head. The intention was to pull the engine out and use it on my homemade backhoe but after a quick assessment, the old school voltage regulator just needed some tuning and new diodes to get it going again.

So a full restoration was in order, including taking the engine completely apart to fix some things, like a broken crankshaft thrust washer and several leaks.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #65  
FWIW, I have a Baumalight TX12 and a 2HP well pump. I've been using it since 2011 and never had any problems.

My manual says nothing about not using it with a 2HP motor. It just says not to use it under overload conditions for more than 2 minutes. I do notice the lights dim a bit when the well pump starts but that's it.

Mine is an older model though so this may be an issue with newer units.

Or it could an issue with older operator manuals. The current operator manual states,

“To prevent generator damage, do not load generator with an electric motor that exceeds the maximum capacity for the generator. See information below for maximum motor size.

TX7 - 0.75 hp (0.56 kw)
TX12 - 1.25 hp (0.93 kw)
TX18 - 1.5 hp (1.12 kw)
TX25 - 1.75 hp (1.30 kw)
TX31 - 2 hp (1.5 kw)”

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?
Update- Called a few well places, hard to get someone to return calls and/or talk to someone. Found one who was very helpful and is now in my phone. In short, something like an Easy Start has not proven well from their experiences and they do not recommend one. He also said I was measuring the wrong wire, probably the wire going to the start cap, and 42A on a 17HP SF Max would lock the motor up. In my Franklin box is a yellow wire, I need to measure that one.

He also let me know what size generator/KW is needed from a table in a book he has, you may have seen it online. They have 2 columns, external and internal voltage regulator. Which one does a PTO have?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #67  
It could be the voltage regulator is the weak link in the Bauma Light. Large motor loads relative the generator size may damage the regulator with frequent voltage spikes and dips when they cycle on and off.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #68  
In many cases a generator is capable of more load than it's prime mover. Cheap generators this is more often true. Buy a bargain generator at a big box store, it'll stumble starting motor loads. As the engine stumbles, magnetic field in the motor crashes & less magnetic choke leaves little to restrict current & amperage skyrockets. I have a new Generac inverter portable, it drops out & I have to shut it off & retry.

Farmers routinely power motors totaling hundreds of horsepower on PTO generators. You can absolutely run motors on a generator, maybe this one is not a good choice.

I also question a two HP water pump. The only two HP pump I've seen is on a large dairy operation. Household pumps are likely to be 3/4 HP.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #69  
Update- Called a few well places, hard to get someone to return calls and/or talk to someone. Found one who was very helpful and is now in my phone. In short, something like an Easy Start has not proven well from their experiences and they do not recommend one. He also said I was measuring the wrong wire, probably the wire going to the start cap, and 42A on a 17HP SF Max would lock the motor up. In my Franklin box is a yellow wire, I need to measure that one.

He also let me know what size generator/KW is needed from a table in a book he has, you may have seen it online. They have 2 columns, external and internal voltage regulator. Which one does a PTO have?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #70  

Easy Start owner here. My setup is a 12 KW diesel standby. Would run everything in the house but even with everything off wouldn't start the AC. Genset outputs 50 amps, AC has an FLR of 137 amps per the rating plate. Spoke with the folks at easy start who by the way were great, and went for the big one. It was real easy to install and it works great. The screenshot below was taken 10 minutes ago and is from the app on the Bluetooth model. I would suggest you call the folks at easy start and talk with them, they seem to be real honest. They told me what the max FLR draw would be using their device and it has always been a couple of amps below. Soft starts also lengthen the life of the motor. Very well spent $400.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_084850_EasyStart.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_084850_EasyStart.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200808_184736.jpg
    20200808_184736.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60