PTO snowblower?

/ PTO snowblower? #51  
I have been living in Montana for around thirteen after I moved there from the Netherlands. The first few winters were very hard for me, because I was not used to experiencing very cold weather and a lot of snow. I had to shovel a lot of snow from my garden and had a hard time doing it so I decided to buy a snow blower and use it to get rid of the snow easier. I found one online and have been using it since. I haven't had any problems with it and it does a nice job every time.

Last edited:
   / PTO snowblower?
Well she’s all done. Used a little 2500lb winch to lift and lower the blower. Shaft drive seems to be working well. Now uh……I need some snow….

/ PTO snowblower? #53  
Well she’s all done. Used a little 2500lb winch to lift and lower the blower. Shaft drive seems to be working well. Now uh……I need some snow….
Well - good for you. And probably none too soon in your area. I'm 25 miles due SW of Spokane - as the crow flies. God - I hope we get moisture of ANY kind this winter. We are dryer than popcorn over here.

Snow would certainly be nice ............

/ PTO snowblower? #54  
Be sure you have everything greased and lubed. I used standard lithium grease on all the tractor and the U-joints on the PTO shaft. If the final drive on the blower is chain drive - motorcycle chain lube - in a spray can - is about the best. Sprays on easily - dries to a gooey, sticky film that hold onto the chain very well.

/ PTO snowblower? #55  
I have been living in Montana for around thirteen after I moved there from the Netherlands. The first few winters were very hard for me, because I was not used to experiencing very cold weather and a lot of snow. I had to shovel a lot of snow from my garden and had a hard time doing it so I decided to buy a snow blower and use it to get rid of the snow easier. I found one online and have been using it since. I haven't had any problems with it and it does a nice job every time.
I'm a transplant from Norway, but Montana has milder winters than where i came from. I've lived here for almost 24 years.

/ PTO snowblower?
Well - good for you. And probably none too soon in your area. I'm 25 miles due SW of Spokane - as the crow flies. God - I hope we get moisture of ANY kind this winter. We are dryer than popcorn over here.

Snow would certainly be nice ............
Really? Thats surprising. I’m in western Washington and its been a soggy fall. I may be heading to my property this weekend, thats where all the snow is, outside of Twisp up in Okanogan county.

/ PTO snowblower?
Be sure you have everything greased and lubed. I used standard lithium grease on all the tractor and the U-joints on the PTO shaft. If the final drive on the blower is chain drive - motorcycle chain lube - in a spray can - is about the best. Sprays on easily - dries to a gooey, sticky film that hold onto the chain very well.
Yup, all greased up good, I just run red n tacky, works in heavy equipment, it’ll work in a wee tractor. And good call on the motorcycle chain lube, I was just smearing grease on the chain….meanwhile I have chain lube in my flam locker for…..my motorcycle chain!

/ PTO snowblower?
I realized I’ve not post much for build pics so I’ll throw a few up here.
this is the chain drive used to chain the input height into the back of the blower. The top shaft had a pulley on it from when it was belt drive. Well I needed to lower the input so I could run my belly shaft low enough so that the blower could be lifted off the ground. Bottom shaft carries the drive shaft, Top shaft drives the blower.

Attachments

• B8A4DF27-381E-4D02-AE42-BEB0B8B97B1D.jpeg
    B8A4DF27-381E-4D02-AE42-BEB0B8B97B1D.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 101
   / PTO snowblower?
The home build drive shaft. Runs pretty good for a nit whit building it.

Attachments

• BC4E34F3-EE74-4731-AB5A-A8C94C7C4117.jpeg
    BC4E34F3-EE74-4731-AB5A-A8C94C7C4117.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 107
   / PTO snowblower?
Welp. This here is the report post. IT WORKED! WELL! Finally had a chance to get to the property, we had 14-16” of snow sitting on the ground, still fairly fluffy. The blower worked great! Would chuck snow about 20’ which is plenty for my needs. The only issue I had is where snow is pushed up into berms, and I try to cut those burns for foot paths etc, the blower loads up and the pulley drive in the rear will throw the belt off. I did find if I got into a berm I would throw the trans into neutral and let the blower catch up it work through it. But I’m going to try two belts, and go to a heavier tensioner spring. Aside from that I’m STOKED!

I do think I’ll ditch the 5’ blade on the rear though and just run a weight. The blade was more of a hindrance than anything.