Public Roads

/ Public Roads #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
When my new tractor arrives, one of the things I would like to do is use the tractor to tow my 5x8 trailer to a nearby farm to get some seasoned manure to put on my gardens.

I have heard that a properly equipped tractor with lights, sign, etc... can travel for short distances on public roads. It is a 2-lane country road and the one-way distance is approximately 1 mile with no blind curves between here and there.

I plan to call my local state police detachment to find out for sure but wanted to get an idea of what to expect and or watch out for.

My main concerns are insurance requirements (if any) and the requirements for the trailer.

Last edited:
   / Public Roads #2  
wvtechs, get yourself one of these.............................and call your insurance agent.

Sincerely, Dirt

beconlight.jpg

/ Public Roads #3  
In Kansas you would be just fine....you would need to have your 4-flashers on and a SMV emblem towards the rear.

/ Public Roads #4  
wvtechs, I was just teasing about the becon light. Definately contact your insurance company.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Public Roads
dirtworksequip said:
wvtechs, I was just teasing about the becon light. Definately contact your insurance company.

Sincerely, Dirt

I wasn't sure but it couldn't hurt, especially at night. Not sure about the insurance requirements here but it is not a bad idea regardless.

/ Public Roads #6  
wvtechs, the reason I am suggesting you get insurance is that in case you are involved in an accident with your tractor at least you have someone to back you. I was involved in an accident with my tractor and a Chevy Suburban just this past Winter and it still is not resolved. Just some friendly advice about insurance.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Public Roads #7  
wvtechs- I assume you have no other way to tow the trailer? If I had any way to tow a trailer down a public road other than the tractor, with all the brain dead drivers out there, I'd not do it with the tractor:cool:

/ Public Roads
Skyco said:
wvtechs- I assume you have no other way to tow the trailer? If I had any way to tow a trailer down a public road other than the tractor, with all the brain dead drivers out there, I'd not do it with the tractor:cool:

I can tow the trailer with my truck but I wanted to use the FEL on the tractor to load it so it seemed natural that since it is such a short distance and the road is relatively safe and not heavily traveled, that it would be a good idea to just tow the trailer with the tractor.

The actual distance I would be traveling on the "main road" which is a two lane divided road is only about 3/4 of a mile with the remaining distance being a smaller public road.

This will probably be a permanent "seasonal" arrangement to get free manure so I am trying to consider the best overall solution that provides the greatest gain with minimal cost or risk.

/ Public Roads #9  
Where I live.. if you have the flashers, head lamps, and a smv sign onthe tractor and trailer.. and are going less than 25mph.. you are good to go. as far as insurance goes.. check your homeowners policy. Mine will cover my tractor as long as it is on my property.. or off my property but not comercial work. IE.. me picking up something and hauling it home for use on my property would be ok.

1 mile ain't too bad.. I drive 4miles 1-way to mow one of my pastures..

( check with YOUR ins co. and state DOT to CYA )

soundguy