Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest?

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #81  
So I don't know if this is all small tractors or not, but at the dealer I visited on Saturday they had the same size tractor side by side. One had R1 the other R4. I didn't realize how much narrower the R1 was. I expected just different tread. Now I think I am leaning toward r4...
Why is the narrow R1 a problem?

It's not common in the US to use R1 Radials on smaller tractors, but over here, probably 90% of the tractors are sold with Radials. They are wider than the bias ply R1, provide better traction, better comfort, last longer, lots of benefits of these.

Here is a good side by side pictures as comparison.

100716124_277439513401236_7525635760406396928_n.jpg
101578448_277439463401241_7726890763891507200_n.jpg

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #82  
R4's get such great traction farmers are switching over to them in droves for deep tillage work. lol

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #83  
I prefer the wider tire, too. Not sure if Radial R1s are common.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #84  
I prefer the wider tire, too. Not sure if Radial R1s are common.
Wide R1's? Heck yeah. I got em on 3 of my tractors

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #85  
Wide R1's? Heck yeah. I got em on 3 of my tractors
Good to know. I will be mostly doing bush hog and timber related work with an FEL. The only 'steep' hill I have I climbed with my Outback and regular passenger tires. I don't think it will give a tractor much trouble regardless of tire choice.

Any tillage I do will be 1 acre or less...most likely much less. So for my uses, R4 may actually be a good choice.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #86  
R4's get such great traction farmers are switching over to them in droves for deep tillage work. lol
99% of the people on here are not farmers, Im not a farmer but i have over 360 acres of ground , mostly woods and overgrown pasture with lots of deep creeks to cross, as well as wrp and crp Both of our newer tractors have loaded r4s and except for serious mudholes that we stay away from we have not gotten stuck.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #87  
99% of the people on here are not farmers, Im not a farmer but i have over 360 acres of ground , mostly woods and overgrown pasture with lots of deep creeks to cross, as well as wrp and crp Both of our newer tractors have loaded r4s and except for serious mudholes that we stay away from we have not gotten stuck.
You will one day.
Also, Farmers aren’t the only people in need of R1’s.
I have been stuck beyond comprehension with R4s. If I didn’t have a backhoe, I’d probably still be stuck. Lol
R1s are 5x the traction of R4s. It’s not even a contest.
Oh, and just because your tires are loaded, that’s no guarantee, either. A tractor with loaded tires in deep mud will just dig itself into oblivion faster.
R4s are much worse in snow than R1’s, too.
R4s ARE better on pavement, concrete and compacted stone surfaces in that they do not wear as fast and on lawns as they don’t damage as much

Last edited:
   / Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #88  
Why is the narrow R1 a problem?

It's not common in the US to use R1 Radials on smaller tractors, but over here, probably 90% of the tractors are sold with Radials. They are wider than the bias ply R1, provide better traction, better comfort, last longer, lots of benefits of these.

Here is a good side by side pictures as comparison.

100716124_277439513401236_7525635760406396928_n.jpg
101578448_277439463401241_7726890763891507200_n.jpg
I love these. Wish they were more readily available here in the sizes for compact machines.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #89  
Another reason for the R4”s is because I want to grade along a creek which is full of rocks. I read the R1’s”s are not nearly as good for rocky surfaces susceptible to puncture. The wheels are going to be kicked out. I’ll just keep it in mind their not the best for mud. My brother has R4”s on his tractor and he seems happy with them. The R4”s are 8” wider track and lower profile. Just trying to keep the center of gravity as low as possible
I wish you the best with the tires of your choice.

/ Putting the R1 vs R4 debate to rest? #90  
You will one day.
Also, Farmers aren’t the only people in need of R1’s.
I have been stuck beyond comprehension with R4s. If I didn’t have a backhoe, I’d probably still be stuck. Lol
R1s are 5x the traction of R4s. It’s not even a contest.
Oh, and just because your tires are loaded, that’s no guarantee, either. A tractor with loaded tires in deep mud will just dig itself into oblivion faster.
R4s are much worse in snow than R1’s, too.
R4s ARE better on pavement, concrete and compacted stone surfaces in that they do not wear as fast and on lawns as they don’t damage as much
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's like cutting the tractor's performance in something like 20 or 25%, and I'm being conservative.

Even if the reason was to drive over the lawn, I can easily do it with the R1's and not cause any damage whatsoever.