QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
A while back an operator started a thread about his LA1153 Loader on an M6040 coming loose from the tractor during use. He was pushing snow with the FEL and thinks the chatter of running the bucket on frozen ground caused the latch pin to jump out of it's holder, which allowed the large pin to slide out and release one side of the loader frame from the tractor. Did major damage to the loader frame. A discussion started in regards to latching the pin. Here's the link to that thread if interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/300056-la1153-loader-kubota-m6040.html

Here's my solution along with pics.

I went to the local Tractor Supply store yesterday and bought a couple push springs, $1.23. I had washers and cotter pins already. Doesn't take a strong spring since all it's gotta overcome is brief vibration. Here's a pic of my parts list.

Here's a pic of the factory setup before modifying. Only thing holding the small pin in the latch hole is gravity. To remove the loader you lift the small pin which allows the large pin to slide out toward you.

First I drilled a hole in the small pin that the cotter pin would go thru. Then I installed the spring, washer and cotter pin so the spring is compressed and holding the small pin down in the safety latch hole. Large pin can't come out.

To remove the loader, lift the small pin, holding it up while you slide out the large pin.

Here's a distance shot so you can see how the loader frame attaches. I believe NH uses this method as well,, maybe others.

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #2  
Very nice and simple, good job.

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification
Thanks Murph. Can ya tell I'm a little shop bored??? ;)

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #4  
Very nice indeed, as always. :thumbsup:

I might try this myself.

Thanks Derek. Yep, pretty simple.

I'd never heard of this happening to anyone before. But when you look at the simplicity and cost of a fix, it's a no brainer. I use the snot out of my loader as I know you do. If this could happen to anyone it would be us!!! :rolleyes:

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #6  
I caught my big pin 1/3 of the way out once. It seemed so unlikely and I thought "well that'll never happen again". While it hasn't happened to me it has obviously happened to others.

I have said before, I always seem to break things the parts man has never ordered or seen break before. Yes, if it can happen it will happen to me, usually on Saturday, 10 min after 12pm!

Last edited:
   / QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #7  
It never happened on any of the Kubota's I owned, but apparent it has happened. Your fix is simple and elegant and your illustration's and write up is first class.:thumbsup:

Thanks James.

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #9  
Great solution, and the best part is no extra parts to lose. Well done.

/ QA Loader Frame Latch Pin Safey Modification #10  
Very nicely done! Yes, that's what my loader mounting looks like. I just took pictures of the failure today- been waiting for some decent weather. I will definately use your corrective action idea when I get it fixed. Thank you!
IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0041.JPG

A while back an operator started a thread about his LA1153 Loader on an M6040 coming loose from the tractor during use. He was pushing snow with the FEL and thinks the chatter of running the bucket on frozen ground caused the latch pin to jump out of it's holder, which allowed the large pin to slide out and release one side of the loader frame from the tractor. Did major damage to the loader frame. A discussion started in regards to latching the pin. Here's the link to that thread if interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/300056-la1153-loader-kubota-m6040.html

Here's my solution along with pics.

I went to the local Tractor Supply store yesterday and bought a couple push springs, $1.23. I had washers and cotter pins already. Doesn't take a strong spring since all it's gotta overcome is brief vibration. Here's a pic of my parts list.

Here's a pic of the factory setup before modifying. Only thing holding the small pin in the latch hole is gravity. To remove the loader you lift the small pin which allows the large pin to slide out toward you.

First I drilled a hole in the small pin that the cotter pin would go thru. Then I installed the spring, washer and cotter pin so the spring is compressed and holding the small pin down in the safety latch hole. Large pin can't come out.

To remove the loader, lift the small pin, holding it up while you slide out the large pin.

Here's a distance shot so you can see how the loader frame attaches. I believe NH uses this method as well,, maybe others.