Quick and simple BX forks

/ Quick and simple BX forks #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I have been planning on building a QA bucket and a fancy set of forks for several years now, but I have just not ever gotten around to it. I finally got to the point recently where I needed some forks and I could not wait any longer to do something elaborate so I came up with a somewhat unique set of QA forks. The are somewhat limited because they are farther our from the tilt fulcrum than I would like, but for what I need they work very well and it did not take long at all to make them. I bought these hollow forks off someone on eBay for $50, but you could make them out of almost anything laying around. If I bought a new tractor tomorrow, putting a hitch receiver on the bucket would be my first project (I use it that much)

BTW - I drilled out the pin hole in the receiver so I could use a 3 point pin and round clip instead of those little spring clips .... I hate those things!

Attachments

• Receiver hitch in bucket.jpg
    Receiver hitch in bucket.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 581
  • Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 645
  • Forks spread.jpg
    Forks spread.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 546
  • QA forks.jpg
    QA forks.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 580
   / Quick and simple BX forks #2  
Simple and functional. I am putting these on my list of must build. Nice!

/ Quick and simple BX forks #3  
:drool: Time to work out a barter deal with brother. He owns a junkyard, welder and many other tools essential to this type of build. I can supply grunt labor for a couple projects he has going.:D

/ Quick and simple BX forks #4  
I like that idea ALOT.. :licking: I think I am going to find some forks somewhere so I can have my neighbor weld some up for me. He owes me a favor or three.:thumbsup:

/ Quick and simple BX forks #5  
Just a tip.. if the heel of the forks were INSIDE the bucket, at least on the lip of the bucket, You would get more stability and better weight distribution.

/ Quick and simple BX forks #6  
Just a tip.. if the heel of the forks were INSIDE the bucket, at least on the lip of the bucket, You would get more stability and better weight distribution.

I think if you look closer you'll see the short angle iron pieces welded just above the heel that gives the stability & weight distribution you want with the added advantage of the bucket not digging in the ground when trying to get in low.

/ Quick and simple BX forks #7  
I see that now..:thumbsup:

/ Quick and simple BX forks
I would suggest making some hollow forks. I have some off a forklift but they simply weigh too much (given the limited lifting capacity of a bx FEL)

The whole setup is only 60-70 lbs so it is perfect for light pallet loads, tree branches etc. They work really well. Originally I was going to brace the ends of the "T" to the sides of the bucket but you really don't need to

/ Quick and simple BX forks #9  
Hey - nice forks - I think forks are next for me. What does the attachment inside the bucket look like - its a bit shaded in the pictures. I guess you welded a plate or flange in there. I just finished making a thumb for my bx24 backhoe. Wanted to restrict the project to plate cutting and parts assembly. It was a bit of fooling around - but is working very well. Just put a ridiculous video of the project on youtube here: YouTube - ‪Kubota BX24 Backhoe Thumb‬‏
feel free to be the first to trash it!
SEB

Attachments

• Photo1125.jpg
    Photo1125.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 266
   / Quick and simple BX forks
What does the attachment inside the bucket look like - its a bit shaded in the pictures. I guess you welded a plate or flange in there.

The thumb looks great. Its always nice to make things look factory perfect, but the real measure is how well they work. That is the problem I had and why it took me so long to build the forks. I kept thinking I needed a perfect solution - but what I really needed was something that worked. I have seen prettier thumbs, but what you were able to do with yours speaks for itself. I will take functional and effective any day over waiting for a perfect solution and having to do something the hard way - nice job

Here is a pic of the mounting in the bucket

Attachments

• FEL receiver.JPG
    FEL receiver.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited: