Radtech Blizzard quality?

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
Looking for a 3pt pto backup type snowblower. 42hp at pto. We get on average 10’ to 12’ of snow each winter.
Used a FEL for the past two years which work well but last winter I started losing places to pile/push the snow.

I will likely use it to blow out other drives for a little extra cash. Especially for people who are losing places to have it pushed or have summer cabins that want their snow cleared in the spring. That snow will have settled to about 5 feet. How a rear pto blower will handle that is another thread….

Looking at some 74” Radtech blizzard
blowers that have some good prices.
As I understand, they make some of Kubota, Deere’s, and other tractor brand blowers. I guess I’m curious if anyone has much knowledge about their build quality etc?

Thank you!

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #2  
I’ve got two 3pt blowers made by RAD Technology. A 84”single auger sold as a new Holland painted blue and a 92”double auger sold as kubota of course orange paint. Compared to two previous blowers I like the rads the best, nicely designed easy to grease and change shear pins, well designed and sized fan and shoot big enough to handle width of cut. I’d buy again

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #4  
If you have crap ground to deal with a welded on cutting edge will not work well for you unless you arc weld on it to replace the worn off steel with a basket weave wear edge.

If you expect to do custom work and do not invest in a very heavy 2 stage snow blower like a pronovost TRC80 with the rotating impeller drum to reduce clogging your wasting your money.

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #5  
Beware that settled snow (summer camps) is going to be hard, nasty and icey to blow and a double auger might be important as will horsepower. You might want to keep the width of the blower down to a minimum for this job, and at 4-5' of depth, don't kid yourself with any dilutions of making full width passes so covering your tractors width isn't important here. With 42 hp or 100hp, you'll still only be nibbling at this much (old) snow. 👍

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #6  
Beware that settled snow (summer camps) is going to be hard, nasty and icey to blow and a double auger might be important as will horsepower. You might want to keep the width of the blower down to a minimum for this job, and at 4-5' of depth, don't kid yourself with any dilutions of making full width passes so covering your tractors width isn't important here. With 42 hp or 100hp, you'll still only be nibbling at this much (old) snow. 👍
Don’t be surprised if you end up taking the snow and ice apart with the bucket first then spinning around to send it.
If whatever you buy doesn’t have a bolt on edge you should put one on the moment you bring it home. It will strengthen the unit but watch your vertical side plates. You can easily fold them into pretzels and they also contain your outer bearing blocks.

/ Radtech Blizzard quality? #7  
Adding to what beaver cove Deere has said you also need to look at the mk martin single stage
snow blowers as they have many fewer parts and bolt on cutting edges and the 54 inch model like its smaller brother has a replaceable cutting edge.
Based soley on my past experience with rad it was nothing but junk and a money pit of a snow blower.

I have attached a file with the mk martin single stage snow throwers for your mule, pages 16,17,18 19 and page twenty.

Don't expect to be able to use your current loader bucket for compacted snow and ice as it will destroy the bucket and bend the loader arms too.

The mk martin single stage snowblowers have more steel and as a result stronger welds the snow thrower models on page 16,18 and 19 would be well suited for your needs.

Attachments

• pocket_snow.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
   / Radtech Blizzard quality? #8  
I have an 84" Blizzard on a 57HP tractor. It's a monster. I've NEVER clogged it. Will throw snow 30' - 40' where it's out of your way. This was the size needed to cover my rear tire track width -- I believe the best snowblower is the SMALLEST one that covers your tracks.

I use mine on gravel mainly. But I've never really had a problem with the cutting edge on any snowblower. I always have mine tipped back slightly so it's riding on the shoes and the cutting edge isn't digging in. Then just drop it and go. I find that keeps me from digging into the gravel.

I've been very happy with this one.