Raising an extension ladder

/ Raising an extension ladder #61  
I need to extend as far as possible a 28' extension ladder onto a 10/12 pitch roof to change a HPS bulb every 3 years. So much for their 8 year warranty,

I run a heavy rope over the top of the roof and hook the ladder to a garden tractor on the other side to pull the ladder up all the way. The bottom of the ladder is inside a extended tractor bucket near the roofs edge to hold it steady. With the rope holding the ladder just in case the tractor moves I feel fairly comfortable to reach the peak while climbing on the laying down ladder.

I don't like it but you do what you can to get the job done. I thought about just putting in a light I can reach with an 8' step ladder and forgetting the high one.
FWIW: I have been steadily replacing my lights with LEDs. Lower power, and much longer lifetimes. I have only had to replace one in twelve years, and it was the motion sensor that died about ninety days after I put it up.

I took out an explosion proof light over the workshop recently and discovered that it was an antique brass light that had been painted over, with what looked suspiciously like bullet dents in it. The prior owner served in the Second World War so perhaps it was a memento of a close call?

All the best,

Peter

/ Raising an extension ladder #62  
I don't like it but you do what you can to get the job done. I thought about just putting in a light I can reach with an 8' step ladder and forgetting the high one.
I rig my higher lights on poles attached to poles. Fixed pole is set in the ground securely. Pulley is rigged at the top of it (before it's stood up in place) Light fixture is mounted on a second pole, usually something like 1" EMT that is hinged at the bottom. Rope is used to pull the light pole up in place to the fixed pole. There is also a yoke type device at the top that the light pole pulls up into to keep it steady. Light fixture gets lowered to ground level for whatever needs to be done.

Same thing can be done with a building.

/ Raising an extension ladder #64  
These all worked out
20210328_211210.jpg
20210328_211540.jpg
20210328_211611.jpg
20210328_211236.jpg

/ Raising an extension ladder #66  
I cant believe I survived the stuff I did in my younger days.
Same here and it wasn’t like it was for a lot of money.....just to get the job done.

/ Raising an extension ladder #67  
I've always been curious. Has anyone ever had an extension ladder fail? One not already damaged or compromised. I dislike the way many long ladders really flex. Generally speaking I always felt better with them more vertical than safety instructions might suggest.

/ Raising an extension ladder #68  
I hope the guy in Fuddy's last picture made it through the job without using his tie off. I hope it was photoshopped. LOL. Jon

/ Raising an extension ladder #69  
I hope the guy in Fuddy's last picture made it through the job without using his tie off. I hope it was photoshopped. LOL. Jon
Something’s wrong with that picture anyhow. Notice the wall he’s on doesn’t line up with those in the background. His second picture on the other hand, looks almost like how I did a swan dive off a one story shed after the ladder kicked out while I was climbing onto the second floor roof of the attached building. I got up from that and said “Holy :censored:! I’m still alive!!!

/ Raising an extension ladder #70  
My brother and i have ratchet strapped two extension ladders together before to get up 40 ft to fix a peice of siding. He went up ,not me. I have spent over 40 yrs climbing ladders , painting exteriors of homes, Both knees are shot now.