Rattlesnakes

/ Rattlesnakes
Yes, there are several flocks of wild turkeys there. Bobcats and rabbits too. The eastern foothills are heavy with brush and critters. Removing snakes from around the house would be a long term full time job - but possibly worth doing if there was some way to prevent others from moving in.

She said she tried some of the scent-based repellants in the last few years but none worked.
That wasn't surprising, but worth a try.

She has chickens - don't know about guinea hens. Have you ever lived around guinea hens?

Last edited:
   / Rattlesnakes #12  
Don't think there low lying . Many a rattler has been seen , encountered or dealt with at elevations between 6000' to 8000 ' . That old tale about cowboys putting there ropes/ lariets / mecates on the ground around them and there bedding at nite to deter snakes from crossing rope and biteing someone is just that , and old tale . Another thing I can tell you from experience , they will hang out also near bird feeders and " seen ' many in and near damp water pump houses waiting on rodents .

How to Rattlesnake Proof a Backyard: 13 Steps (with Pictures) (if there is such a thing) .....

Rattlesnakes suppose to hate the smell of garlic, ammonia, cloves, naphthalene, sulfur, and other powerful scents. While scent deterrents are not foolproof, they may encourage rattlesnakes to find somewhere else to live and hunt and maybe you can keep some out of enclosed areas .

Seen a horse or two attempting to stomp on rattlers to kill them . It was no fun being on the horse that broke out of character attempting to stomp on the rattler and get out of the way . 🤠

/ Rattlesnakes #13  
You got black racers or kingsnakes in the area? If so, maybe bring a few of them in & let them fight the rattlers. Hard to keep them at the house if the surrounding area has better food sources

/ Rattlesnakes #14  
Remove food and shelter as much as possible. No brush piles, no "under porch" access, etc.

Bruce

/ Rattlesnakes #15  
I have snakes here but never seen a rattler. Bull, garter and rubber boa. Go ten miles south - the alfalfa fields are full of rattlers. Absolutely no idea why - just very pleased. Wish the bull snakes would eat more pocket gophers and mice.

It's never too soon to teach the children to watch out for snakes.

/ Rattlesnakes #16  
Ok In my quest to eradicate all snakes any where near me I've doubled my finish lawn getting rid of brush, bushes, and everything else where a snake may hide. Cleared junk left behind by previous owners and snake and rodent proofed my cabin also cause it's on the edge of wilderness. I ran sill seal on bottom plates of course however as an extra measure put a bead of pl400 around outside edge. I also added double door sweeps, used foam insulation to cover any possible voids. Deck sides are exposed however considering bigger snakes can get through a 1/2" crack anyway, I use liberal amounts of snake repellent under deck. Have not seen a sloughed off snake skin anywhere since I've went nuclear on the only animal I hate. Including a similar defensive perimeter around my polebarn and wood pile.

Can Snakes Get Under Doors Into Your House?.

/ Rattlesnakes #18  
snake shot

1678147900178.jpeg

/ Rattlesnakes #19  
We get plenty of Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes here. I moved out of orezok's area where the Green Mojave is prevalent. That's a very venomous species.
Anyway we kill them with shovels, shotguns, and pistols. I even killed one with a Bobcat bucket once . Buddy told me he was clearing brush with a big Dozer and a 5 ft rattler tried to come off the track into the operating station with him. He painted a colorful picture of himself trying to keep the tracks moving while kicking and screaming at the snake like a girl :D:LOL::ROFLMAO: until the tracks took it away.
When I was young we hunted and handled all types of snakes. None of that prepared me for the strength and the fight of holding a medium sized rattler though. Respect.
I see some neighbors putting up snake wire on their yard fences... It's just fine mesh, almost screen looking. Hung on a fence and buried in the ground some. My feral cats doing a job on the rodents and snakes around the house and barn. I only see 1 maybe 2 a year now... when I moved in 20+ yrs ago there were 4 footers coming out of the creek to sun on a warm day.
I drove over one once and when I looked back to see how squished he was he was looking at me like come on back and try that again MFer!

/ Rattlesnakes #20  

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • download (10).jpg
    download (10).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 108
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 99

If you know how to do it the big ones make great hat bands and front limb covers for your longbow or recurve bows .
If pic came out one of these is not a rattler , it's a Leg Les lizard , I have actually seen them eat smaller rattlesnakes .