Real questions that you would like to get an answer…

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #111  
I’m hoping if and when an intruder sees the VCR an 1980 Zenith TV and 1960 Blaupunk/Garrad stereo the error of their ways will be self evident.

Mom always had an Australian Shepard and while all the neighboring homes were hit she never was but there were times at 3 am when her dog would start barking… who knows?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #112  
We all do. None of us know where the murderer is going to shoot, but me, my wife, and my son know where the bedrooms are (my daughter has no gun) and we wouldn’t start shooting at each other.

You may want to re-think your ammo choice 00 buck sounds macho, but it’ll kill innocent bystanders just like a handgun. Several weapons instructors told me to use birdshot instead. It is deadly enough in the main path of shot, but wont penetrate walls like buckshot and kill family/innocent bystanders.

I stand corrected. I just checked and my Maverick is first loaded with a high velocity #2 lead shot then three rounds of low velocity #4-buck, then a low velocity 00-buck. The side saddle has 4-buck and a slug. Stock ammo holder has low noise #8 shot and more 4-buck. So the ammo I have on the Maverick is tailored more for skunks, raccoons, and coyotes than a home intruder. Birdshot has a reputation of making nasty wounds but not stopping the threat. My choice would be the new Winchester Defender low velocity #2 shot if I could find it locally. But by the time I pay shipping it would be way over $2/round. I will buy some when I send in my next big online order if I don't find it locally.

My wife knows that if I start screaming "DOWN" that she is to get on the floor. If we are out somewhere and I tell her to "Scram" that means there is danger and to shut up and get in the car or back to safety. Daughters were taught this when they were at home. Haven't had this discussion with the grands yet but I will in the future.

Oh yeah, I also have some 3" 41-pellet #4-buck handy that I use on skunks in traps (long story). Hit them in the back hindquarters and they don't spray. Traps usually not reusable but.....

RSKY

RSKY

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #113  
Growing up it was common knowledge for kids the home bathtub is the safest place when shots firedbbut back then tubs were mostly cast iron.

A few of my friends built safe rooms in their homes and we don’t have tornados here…

Second floor of a single family had a stray go through the screen, dingle pane window, hollow core closet door and two layers of drywall and lodged in the next room drywall over a stud.

My guess 9mm?

More common is finding slugs in comp roofs from celebrations shooting in the air…

Not a slag but I noticed a fist size hole in comp shingles and splintering ply sheathing…

Since airport nearby best guess ice from a plane on approach to Oakland?

Last edited:
   / Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #114  
Ok, another question

How warm, °F, should I keep a basement that isn’t used in the winter to help the main level stay warm in a cold climate?
I would say between 55 and 60 would be comfortable. that's about what mine is and I'm in WNY.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #115  
Ok, level 2 question.

I have 1 shotgun, 1 rifle and 1 handgun. How many rounds of ammo for each should I have on hand for home defense? And “as many as I can afford” is not a valid answer.
Just for home defense I would say at least one box of each at a minimum. But it is good to stock up.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer…
Ok new question.

Is the speed limit transition from a speed to another speed required at the speed limit sign or at the view of the sign?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #117  
It will depend upon your locality, but in many it used to actually be the second sign. I don't know if it still is or not.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #118  
I know in MO you best down to the lower speed at the first sign, does not seem like you have at the higher speed when you get to the sign. My argument on that theory fell on deaf ears with the trooper.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #119  
Ok new question.

Is the speed limit transition from a speed to another speed required at the speed limit sign or at the view of the sign?
it is at the sign, the fist transition sign is a suggestion, but you need to be at the speed indicated on the second sign at that sign...

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer…
it is at the sign, the fist transition sign is a suggestion, but you need to be at the speed indicated on the second sign at that sign...
What do you mean first and second sign?

In my area, going into a town, on a highway where speed limit is 65mph, at the town limits there is a single sign that says 35 mph.

So 65 mph till the 35 sign?