Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #341  
I have to agree with Dave.

Bearings using an eccentric locking collar have runout built into them which is why they aren't used on things that require precision, no vibration or that run high speed. You can use an indicator to check how much runout there is but it wouldn't surprise me the manufacturer will say that runout is within their design limits.

Also, the input shaft may run truer when a load is put on it. I can't see the input shaft bearing in the video but I would imagine they used a self aligning bearing, probably a pillow block with an eccentric locking collar, that will self align once a load is put on it. Keep in mind that self aligning doesn't mean it will run perfectly true, it just means it will run true enough for the intended use.

OK, that's 2 votes for it's not something to be concerned about. Today I will run it up to PTO speed and see if it starts to shake badly. If not then I suspect it will be OK. I did indicate the shafts last night and this is what I found:
1) the shaft in the gearbox is dead straight and runs true,
2) the end of the fan, at a point as close to the rear as I could measure had 0.025" runout
3) the fan side of the chain coupler, as close to the chain as I could measure, had 0.055" runout
4) the driveshaft on the tractor side of the chain coupler had 0.060" runout.

I watched a video of the previous blower running and could not see any wobble on that driveshaft but that blower had a much more serious problem as I described earlier. Not the same thing as this one. This one appears to have the bevel gears properly shimmed, as there is no detectable slop and they look to be meshing properly. The only thing, so far, is the shaft wobble. However I can't use it to see if everything else is OK until we get some snow.

I have very little doubt in my mind that the manufacturer would tell me this is within acceptable limits, even if there is no spec for what that should be. I believe I found some information on what misalignment tolerances are within a roller chain coupler operating limits and will see if I can find that again. If this is within those limits and the wobble doesn't cause the whole thing to shake badly, at operating speed, then I guess it should be OK.

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #342  
Nice work. It still might be worth sending an email to the manufacturer with
  • Your observations/measurements
  • Asking fro their specs
  • The link to this thread

They may be concerned enough with their reputation to send you a new one, and it gets everything on the record.

My Dad's old corn planter had exposed bevel gears, but they turned at 10RPM. Your experience is making me appreciate my Meteor inverted even more.

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #343  
I'm assuming your runout numbers are TIR so the actual runout is one half of that.

Running the blower for a bit may help align the input shaft some but if you wanted you can align the input shaft with a small jack from underneath. That way you can use your indicator to measure how much you are moving it and how much spring back the shaft has.

This assumes the input shaft has a self aligning pillow block bearing on it, if that isn't the case we may need to rethink this.

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #344  
I found a website that lists the operating tolerances for their roller chain couplers. This coupler is a 5016 (#50 chain with 16 teeth). It lists the angular tolerance and the linear offset tolerances. I don't think the linear offset applies to the this case, since the driveshaft is floating in the pillow block bearing support. So the only spec that applies (in my opinion) is the angular one, which is stated as 1 degree but reduces to 0.5 degrees if the operating speed is above a certain limit. Either way, according to my calc's this is within spec. I measured the TIR on both sides of the coupling and used 1/2 of that amount. I then measured the distance from the center of the coupling to the pivot points on each side, ie from the coupling to the bearing behind the fan and then from the coupling to the support bearing on the tractor side. I calculated a total angular misalignment of 0.37 degrees, which is within the operating limits spec'd by that manufacturer.

I think I will take airbiscuit's advise and send the attached video to the manufacturer and see if they think this is normal / OK.

Here is another video for feedback / comments.
Farm King 8420 Inverted Snow Blower - YouTube

edit, I forgot to respond to Reb954's comment about jacking the the input shaft. I'm almost positive that the problem is that the chain coupling has been poorly installed on the fan shaft is welded on to it crooked. All of the bearings are self aligning. I suppose I could remove the chain from the coupler and remove the driveshaft on the tractor side, then measure the face of the fan side of the coupler to see how much runout it has. But that is a bit more work I'd rather not do yet.

Last edited:
   / Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #345  
I would send them the link to this thread also.

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #346  
This morning I sent a third email to Farm King asking for an update on their review of the info I sent, regarding the second blower and within 30 minutes I got a phone call from one of their reps. I am told the second one is not right and they will send me a new Orange one as soon as they have one built and this one will be completely assembled and tested at the factory before being shipped. Looks like my concern was justified after all.

I am impressed with how they dealt with this, when it finally made it to the right person. They are going to ship it to a drop location in Kamloops and I will take this one to that location and exchange it for the new one. Farm King is picking up the tab for shipping both ways. :thumbsup:

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #347  
Now that is some good customer service.
It's really too bad that their quality control people aren't as good as their customer service people.

Aaron Z

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #348  
Hello and good evening Hillbilly,

I am glad that FARMKING has stepped up and will replace the snowblower and allow you send it back
at no charge to you whatsoever.

They have been building farm machinery for a long time and somehow those 2 snow casters slipped out
of their shop without being checked for build quality.

I am glad that pestering them was the right thing to do and it was sent up the chain of command to the right person.

I (actually all of us on TBN) look forward to seeing the new toy when you get it.

LeonZ

This morning I sent a third email to Farm King asking for an update on their review of the info I sent, regarding the second blower and within 30 minutes I got a phone call from one of their reps. I am told the second one is not right and they will send me a new Orange one as soon as they have one built and this one will be completely assembled and tested at the factory before being shipped. Looks like my concern was justified after all.

I am impressed with how they dealt with this, when it finally made it to the right person. They are going to ship it to a drop location in Kamloops and I will take this one to that location and exchange it for the new one. Farm King is picking up the tab for shipping both ways. :thumbsup:

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #349  
We'll expect pics when it is delivered and videos when it is used!

/ Rear Inverted Snowblowers 2019 #350  
Hello and good evening Hillbilly,

I am glad that FARMKING has stepped up and will replace the snowblower and allow you send it back
at no charge to you whatsoever.

They have been building farm machinery for a long time and somehow those 2 snow casters slipped out
of their shop without being checked for build quality.

I am glad that pestering them was the right thing to do and it was sent up the chain of command to the right person.

I (actually all of us on TBN) look forward to seeing the new toy when you get it.

LeonZ

Hoping they improve their quality control after this incident. This is costing them just in shipping costs. I paid $350 to have the frst one shipped to me from a few hours away and they paid for return shipping. The new one is coming from the other side of the country and will cost even more to ship plus they are picking up the cost both ways. That's 3 shipping costs plus the repairs they will need to make on both of the first 2 units. I'm very glad they stepped up and did the right thing here.

We'll expect pics when it is delivered and videos when it is used!

Pics and videos will follow after it arrives and gets some use. Likely won't arrive here until sometime in September though.