Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #11  
My wife has a Cub with the steering wheel and she likes it and candidly, so do I. I like it so much I traded in my Cub 60" Tank for a used Kubota F series with you guessed it, a steering wheel.
A 4WD front mower is my dream machine!

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers
Considering a cash buy of ZTXS5 series (steering wheel) mower.

Bit the bullet, wrote the check, took delivery of the CC ZTXS6 60" this past Monday. Workload is super-busy so I haven't conducted a full-scope test mow, just about 1/2-acre mostly level fenced-in area. More significant workout planned for Saturday (weather permitting).

First drive didn't reveal anything that hasn't been shared in the thread so far. The steering effort is a bit more than I first expected, but recognizing that it's the equivalent of manipulating two lap-bar handles through a steering wheel, it's a reasonable steering effort. 60" cut was crisp and even better than what I've seen from my MF GC1705 with 60" MMM. My 42" Simplicity gives a slightly better cut, but that's to be expected from the Simplicity design and the smaller deck width.

Looking forward to the longer 'first real mow' this weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20240429_155501891.jpg
    PXL_20240429_155501891.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20240429_155510194.jpg
    PXL_20240429_155510194.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
   / Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #13  
That's a nice looking machine!

Does the steering wheel also turn the front wheels or are the front wheels casters?

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers
That's a nice looking machine!

Does the steering wheel also turn the front wheels or are the front wheels casters?
Steering wheel engages synchronized front wheels and rear. Front wheels are not casters; they are steerable. 180-degree turns proven to work. The fronts and rears are truly in sync enabling the 180 turns. Again, takes some getting used to and not as 'intuitive' and easy as it is with lap bars.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #15  
I have one of each, both from a local Cub dealer. Lap bar bought early 2000s, steering wheel about 6 years ago. At the time (guessing) the first was about $3K, second about $5K. Personally I use the older one the most because it's simplicity. Neither have given trouble, I'm thinking older one has 22hp Kohler twin, newer Kawasaki 24hp twin. I'm so used to the lap bar steering it's easy to cut carefully without thinking.
Bang for the buck that's the one I prefer.
Funny story Tractor Supply had a lap bar mower on sale I was going to buy so wife & I could mow. It had a more expensive cloth seat, and asked manager if I could swap seats with a less expensive vinyl one but pay higher price. He said no, it would "void the warranty" so I went down the road a few miles buying steering wheel one from dealer.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #16  
If I had to buy one today this is probably what I'd get. It already has lights (I added mine), I like the deck, probably has zerk fittings on spindles. $3,299
2024_05_01_21.31.17.jpg

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #17  
The primary difference with the steering wheel option, is that the front wheels are physically controlled and steered. This provides substantial control when mowing hills, as opposed to the traditional caster wheels, that gravity tends to direct down hill, only resisted by the movement of the rear wheels. Think of it as 2-wheel vs 4-wheel steering. I have a couple of hills on my property where my caster-front Ferris mower gives me serious pucker-factor. I don't ever approach them when the ground isn't COMPLETELY dry.

ALSO, notice the steering wheel model has treaded front wheels, versus smooth caster wheels.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #18  
My wife has a Cub with the steering wheel and she likes it and candidly, so do I. I like it so much I traded in my Cub 60" Tank for a used Kubota F series with you guessed it, a steering wheel.
We have had the CC ZT with steering wheel for several years now. I've used both types of ZT's. For the inexperienced the steering wheel makes it easy to use and is easier to navigate hilly terrain horizontally.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #19  
Bit the bullet, wrote the check, took delivery of the CC ZTXS6 60" this past Monday.
Oh, boy, here we go. This place is such a bad influence.... I'm on the edge of my tractor seat waiting for the first mow report!

Congratulations on the purchase and wishing you best of luck with the machine!

Visit to "Elite" dealer was interesting. It was a "farm store" Tractor Supply Store type place. In addition to CC, this place sold Exmark and Stihl ZTR's. Sure would be nice but....hills....

Strangely enough, they had a relatively large stock in the CC "ProZ" line. I think I counted 4 or 5 of them, including the dual-wheeled model. Did not have any 5 series, had a ZTXS6 with 60 inch deck and a ZTXS4 with 60 inch deck, both in crates. The "4" looked like it had been sitting out in the weather for a couple of years, faded paint, mold on the seat, etc.

I don't really want a 60 inch deck, but wonder if they would knock anything off the price for the "weathering"?

My search goes on...

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #20  
We have had the CC ZT with steering wheel for several years now. I've used both types of ZT's. For the inexperienced the steering wheel makes it easy to use and is easier to navigate hilly terrain horizontally.
The other 'nice' thing about the steering wheel CC is unlike the 'oars' when making a tight turn, it takes no coordination extra to eliminate inside wheel spin and the resultant tearing up of the grass. There is no inside wheel spin. I think it's a nice setup myself.