Recommended wood stove brands

/ Recommended wood stove brands #31  
I have a dutchwest insert for the beginning and end of the season. Early December or late November I fire up the blaze king king classic in the cellar. That blaze king is one of the best things I have ever bought. I replaced the cat last year and it was like a brand new stove all over again. I fill it twice a day and that’s it.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #32  
I used a Blaze King for 25 years. Still have it...I'd still be using it if I could find a reliable and affordable supply of firewood. Last few years I had to drive 240 miles into Oregon to pick up my winter's firewood supply - and then that source began drying up. So I went to a pellet stove.

The Blaze King was wonderful - much prefer its constant and quiet heat compared to listening the pellet stove fans turn on and off. I could load the Blaze King with wood, leave the house for 12 hours, and come back to a house that was still at 70 degrees even when it was only 10 degrees outside.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #33  
Another Vote for Blaze King. Would not have any other

Although with ~600 sq ft. even the Princess model might be a bit much.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #34  
I used a Blaze King for 25 years. Still have it...I'd still be using it if I could find a reliable and affordable supply of firewood. Last few years I had to drive 240 miles into Oregon to pick up my winter's firewood supply - and then that source began drying up. So I went to a pellet stove.

The Blaze King was wonderful - much prefer its constant and quiet heat compared to listening the pellet stove fans turn on and off. I could load the Blaze King with wood, leave the house for 12 hours, and come back to a house that was still at 70 degrees even when it was only 10 degrees outside.
Kind of ironic when folks pay to haul off oak here...

Can't give it away.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #35  
Wonderwood for a good, basic heater that will take up to a 24" stick and has a rudimentary thermostat. I installed a standard 4" dryer vent in the wall down low behind my woodstove for air intake. Just removed the flap inside and installed some galvanized screen to keep critters out.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #36  
Most stoves now are EPA stoves. Many locations require EPA stoves in new installs. They burn cleaner than older designs and get more BTUs from the wood. There are catalytic and non cat EPA stoves. The non cat ones use clever design with smoke routing and air tubes to burn the smoke. Cat stoves require new cats periodically, which is a few hundred $$. However the cat stoves can be turned down lower than non cat stoves, and can burn longer on a load as a result. There are also now some hybrid stoves which combine the reburning technology with a cat for even more efficiency.

With a small house a small cat stove that can be turned down would be my first thought.

The one drawback to EPA stoves is that they need dry wood. Below 15% is best. Depending on species it takes either one or two summers for me to get hardwood dry enough for my non cat EPA stove to be happy burning it. We have long dry summers that are ideal for drying wood. Your results may vary. If you don't already have wood split and drying, time to start.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #37  
There are lots of wood stoves available. Shop around and pick one that fits your space with the proper chimney. Check out your local code requirements for installation.

For make up air for the cabin there will be commercial products available. ( At one time a downcomer terminated in a five gallon bucket was just fine )

/ Recommended wood stove brands #38  
The outside air kit (specific to each stove) is nice because it brings outside air directly into the stove. It's not being pulled into the living space and making it colder.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #39  
Caver
We live in a 20X24 ft log cabin. There is a loft as well as a full basement where our bedroom is. The stove is in the basement which is on the other half of the wall of the bedroom. There is a 2X3 ft regerster in the 1st floor and the cabin stays in the lower 70's throughout the winter months. We just replaced our 12 yr old Englander wood stove with a new Lopi Evergreen which has a high EPA rating. We went through around 12 - 14 facecord with the Englander stove and expect to use a lot less with the Lopi.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #40  
With it only being 660 sq ft and insulated, it won't take much to heat. A very small pellet stove would work and may vent out the wall. Check on small wood stoves that are for campers, RV's, or mobile homes.