Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #1  

AAG-Kubota MX5200

Tractor
Kubota MX 5200 HST
I have a Kubota MX5200 with remote hydraulics on the rear. The controls allow me to side shift my flail mower. I want to hook up a Backhoe and I need continues flow of hydraulics to the Backhoe. I was wondering if I can use the remote hydraulics by taking the controls and lock them in a "continuous on" position or will that damage my control?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Hydraulics.jpg
    Hydraulics.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 86
   / Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #2  
It will work just fine. A bungee cord or something holding similar the lever in place and you're good to go.

Just make sure you're feeding the backhoe from the pressure side of the backhoe control valve, since it's easy to reverse with the remotes.

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #3  
We run ours with a pump on the pto and BH has its own controls. I wouldn't be putting those BH forces on my tractor hydraulic system.

Say you're digging a stump and have front of tractor up a little bit, and it comes loose. Where does that jerky release go to? Trying to dislodge a rock or piece of concrete? Back Hoes tend to get in good binds.

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #4  
A lot of tractor manufacturers use rear remotes for the BH plumbing. My LS is set up that way. I imagine that they are engineered to do so, not sure if it would work on an aftermarket BH. The worst thing that would happen is the BH movements are slower and not as powerful..... if you don't have enough flow.

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #5  
AAG,

I can only describe what my experience is with a M59 TLB ( tractor loader backhoe ). The backhoe has a dedicated pump and two feeds to the backhoe and one return to the reservoir and then fluid gets pumped again. One circuit feeds L-R swing which consumes high volume. The Boom, dipper, and bucket curl run on separate circuit at much higher pressure since this is where you are doing real work. Both circuits are constantly being fed and if not doing work then fluid bypasses the shuttle valves and returns to the tank. This keeps everything cool including the fluid.
The reason for having two circuits is, if you are using both swing and boom lift then you are robbing either volume or pressure. You can't do both at the same time with one circuit.

Talk to your Kubota dealer's shop manager about best way to add the backhoe.

Good shop people ( those who know their stuff ) are worth their weight in gold. I was seriously thinking about running a SSQA equiped Harley rake off the tractor front by taking bucket off and replacing with rake since I had a 3rd remote to loader that provided hydraulic power to run the rake. The "old" timer
( the go to guy ) in the shop cautioned me against it by showing me the circuit and the hydraulic flow/ pressure info. I probably would have destroyed a good hydraulic pump and electrically actuated valve if I had not had this conversation

Hope this helps

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #6  
A backhoe doesn't usually take a ton of flow. You're not dealing with hydraulic motors, so it's just cylinders. You'll need to check what your remote can put out in terms of pressure. Assuming you have the pressure, the flow is just going to make the hoe run slower if it isn't optimal. When I run my hoe, I keep the engine just over idle. If I go WOT, the hoe will move faster than ideal, even feathering the controls. Occasionally I need the WOT for pressure, but that's not frequent. Odds are you're not a pro operator, and you're unlikely to be running the hoe all day, every day to want peak performance. If you were, we wouldn't be discussing this particular setup.
The only issue I could see is does your tractor have enough cooling built in to the hydraulic system. I'm sure the best place to start that question is your dealer, and as noted above, find "the guy" that knows about reality, not just some sales weasel...

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe
Thank you, everyone, for your guidance. To those that say to talk to the expert, I tried that at my dealer and they said I need to talk to the sales rep that sold me the unit. I know what that means, buy this and this and this and it will work. I am not a full time backhoe operator so it is not like I will be overworking this unit, my goal is to dig a 250' long trench 2' deep. I think I will try the remote hydraulics and if I don't have enough power I will probably end up with a PTO pump. Thank you all again. Happy tractoring!

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #8  
Thank you, everyone, for your guidance. To those that say to talk to the expert, I tried that at my dealer and they said I need to talk to the sales rep that sold me the unit. I know what that means, buy this and this and this and it will work. I am not a full time backhoe operator so it is not like I will be overworking this unit, my goal is to dig a 250' long trench 2' deep. I think I will try the remote hydraulics and if I don't have enough power I will probably end up with a PTO pump. Thank you all again. Happy tractoring!
AAG,

Your welcome. Not pleased to hear your local Kubota dealer management sent you back to sales for your answer. Does not bode well for you and the dealership. You don't have reliable place to get solid answers and the dealership is clearly interested in one time sales and NOT interested in followup sales or service. My experience is the implements make the machine and over time you can spend as much on implements as the original machine. Start looking for another Kubota dealer.

Good luck in your endeavors.

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #9  
I seem to have hit on a thread that may help me with my problem. I have a Farmtrac 665 DTC with a front-end loader that the hydraulic lines to the loader are fed by the rear remotes. I am not able to use the three-point hitch while using the loader without switching the remote control value, which is tied open to feed the FEL. Thus it is a hassle to keep changing to use the three-point. I know there has to be a better way to plumb so both will work at the same time. Any guidance is appreciated.

/ Remote Hydraulics for Backhoe #10  
I Piddle,

I am not familiar with Farmtrac equipment so I am unable to provide guidance other than have a conversation with your local Farmtrac equipment seller /servicer. Find and talk with the senior service tech about your concerns and objectives. As I mentioned in comment #5, they are worth their weight in gold IF they really know their way around the Farmtrac machines. A good service tech knows the exact layout of the hydraulic system and has the prior knowledge of where to take hydraulic power from AND has the manuals and factory contacts if they need help with solutions.

I find it very odd the Front End Loader is being run off the circuit(s) powering the rear remotes. I would expect pump or pumps with lines running forward to FEL and separate lines running to the rear for 3 point hitch of backhoe or rear remotes.