/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #22  
Bull doser

Sure ... The task

1699877821271.png

The solution

1699877848640.png

No overkill here carry on

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #23  
I know the stock answer is don't push or pull with the FEL. I saw you were near unanimous about it. Not trying to be a smart alec but I push with all the traction my M7060 can muster in 4WD and with the diff lock engaged trying to get clay into a bucket. It stands up to that. Also have a Danuser Intimidator tree puller (similar to this picture below) and the suggestions on this very forum was that using FEL lift alone was a fraction of what you get when grabbing at chest height and pushing and pulling while lifting. I've done this until out of traction forwards and backwards hundreds of times and the FEL is still intact and although the back tires get light or float on the ground when backing, the tractor has stayed upright. I think this is how it is supposed to be used. So why the advise to never push or pull with the FEL? Caution of course but a ban?

Mark

1699878183076.jpeg

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #24  
One caution no one else made: Never, NEVER rig up anything to pull from the the three point hitch. That gives a high hook point and can quickly flip your machine over backwards.
a little exaggeration here... once the front lift up just stop pulling its not rocket sciences, it's not like it will flip without effort or warning... I have tied up trees stump on my 3 point and I never had the front lift (FEL attached), the 3 point hitch is not as solid as the receiver draw bar so depending on the task it can cause some damage or break so I wouldn't recommend it for that reason and yes it be more prone to lift the front, but the 3 point hitch gives a higher pull leverage which can help... but the rim or tire method would be more effective.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #25  
I've removed big tree stumps with only a axe, shovel, chain, farmer jack and a bit time. So no special equipment or method is required only rudimentary tools, time and a few drop of sweat.

in my front yard ... result is stump and root ball gone without tire tracks and minimal soil disturbance.
1699879381786.png

Last edited:
   / Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #26  
I find it best to dig around the stump with my backhoe.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #27  
I have golf cart trails all through my property. I've removed a lot of small trees and this is what works for me.
Using a to-30
For really small trees, I usually wrap a chian around them and pull them up out of the ground with the loader, roots and all.
Up to about 6" in diameter, I can usually push them over with the loader. Always put the loader up high for pushing. It gives you so much more leverage. For some of the larger ones I have to push and pull them back and forth a couple times before I can push them over. Once it's over if the roots are still holding, use a chain with the loader to pull it up out of the ground. Bigger then 6" Use a chain and snatch them back and forth a few times. I don't know if it's advisable as I often break my tractors so this could damage your tractor although it's never hurt mine, but for snatching, I always wrap the chain under the axles and up over the tranny. This set up costs a little in traction but I'd rather spin when I reach the end of the chain then have the tractor stand up.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #28  
You could fill your bucket for additional front counterweight just to be as safe as possible.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #29  
If you have a bigger tractor and the right soil conditions, I've found I can wrap a chain around the lowest part of the tree, hook to my bucket hooks and "curl" plus lift the bucket to break the tree free of the ground. Then I lift it up and out.

You need to do this when the ground is soggy with water so the task is easier. I don't know how big your trees are but I've ripped out 20 ft tall American Arborvitae--Northern White Cedars--with 90HP.

Another way for less HP is to get or rent a "tree shovel" for your loader (if you have SSQA connection), poke around the roots, wait for rain and then curl it out.

You can also cut the tree off at about four ft and next year push against the strump with your rear tire to pop the stump free.

I've done lots of trees by ripping them out and always figured pulling was too dangerous--- and it is. Plus you have huge hole in the ground that you need to fill. I've used backhoes but it takes forever, makes a mess and leaves a hole.

There are old time methods on the net using a truck tire and a long log for a lever and popping the trees out of the ground. It's old school but is likely how the land was originally cleared and looks pretty easy. That's where I got the idea for curling them out.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #30  
Pull with a truck, push at an angle away from the line of the trucks travel with your bucket, This will pull the tree while allowing control of the fall to avoid hitting either vehicle. It also means two people in case of emergency one will be able to call for any required assistance.