Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #31  
You aren't that far from me... I'm close to Smithville. I've got about 15 acres myself to clear, mostly small cedar and youpon. The struggle is real!

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor
Ok, had a chance to tackle this area today (gorgeous day here!). Decided to use the shredder as much as I could, thanks to feedback from y'all. I managed to chew up about 90% of the shrubs & smaller trees. Just a few thick ones it couldn't handle. Cleared out all the vines & underbrush I could reach at the same time.

I'll chainsaw the remaining stragglers next.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 346
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 305
   / Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #33  
Good. That looks great. Thanks for the update.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #34  
Those look a lot like the trees on our place, with the single curved trunk.. Maybe it's how they grow when crowded in a grove.

Those look a lot like the trees on our place, with the single curved trunk.. Maybe it's how they grow when crowded in a grove.
I think you're right. We have some huge spreading oaks that are by themselves, and a couple of groves, that tend to have single curved trunk looks.

Here's one of the oaks that stands by itself near our house. It's a huge 150+ year old specimen. Very different growth pattern than the wild ones in groves.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 236
   / Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #36  
Live oak is my guess.

Live oak is my guess.
Yes, they're all Live Oaks.

I think you're right. We have some huge spreading oaks that are by themselves, and a couple of groves, that tend to have single curved trunk looks.
Here's one of the more unique Live Oak groves, down by our old barn. Multiple trees/trunks all growing out of one big base.

Attachments

• live-oak-grove.jpg
    live-oak-grove.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 257
   / Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #38  
Yes, they're all Live Oaks.

Here's one of the more unique Live Oak groves, down by our old barn. Multiple trees/trunks all growing out of one big base.

Any idea how old the tree is?

Any idea how old the tree is?
Interesting question--I have no idea how old the grove is. The single tree pictured in post #35 is about 100 years old, according to my tree guy. There's one in the front of our house that is closer to 200. Huge huge trunk.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #40  
Interesting question--I have no idea how old the grove is. The single tree pictured in post #35 is about 100 years old, according to my tree guy. There's one in the front of our house that is closer to 200. Huge huge trunk.

We have one slightly larger at the family farm where my recently deceased father in law (age 90) grew up and he told me it looked much the same to him as it did when he was a kid.