Removing the Chains of Bondage...

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #61  
We got 5-6" of wet snow on Saturday. Used the rear blade to clean it up. I made skids for it but gauge wheels would be better. Thinking of adapting the ones from my Land Pride FM.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #62  
We ended up with about 8",
I pushed my blade backwards,

3-13-22 blade 7.jpg

you can see were the chains are getting down to the soft dirt

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #63  
After reading the first few posts in this thread, I considered taking the chains off. I'm glad I resisted the urge since we just got 6" of new snow on top of a layer of ice.

Thinking it was over, I plowed after the first 3" was on the ground. Wouldn't you know, as I took these pics, it started up again and 3" more fell. At least I got a chance to try out the new LED cab lights.

IMG_1263a.jpg
IMG_1265a.jpg
IMG_1266a.jpg

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #64  
Friday I tied the sawmill head to my forks and walked it from the field to where I'm assembling at the house... 1/4 mile at low speed. I had forgotten how much chains make it bounce at that pace... like driving down RR tracks.

We got about an inch of snow on top of a lot of rain yesterday. I swept the deck off, the rest can take care of itself.

Last edited:
   / Removing the Chains of Bondage... #65  
They were predicting 8-12" of heavy, wet snow here with 20 mph winds. Got about that for snow, dry, but dense. Not much wind.
Didn't need to worry much about digging up the driveway, still had a couple inches of hardpack/base, even after the warm temperatures last week.
Glad I left the chains on...

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage...
We ended up with about 8",
I pushed my blade backwards,

View attachment 737143

you can see were the chains are getting down to the soft dirt
I had the same issue with the ground under the snow already well thawed Mr. Lou.

Couldn't use the front plow without digging trenches...it was ugly!

Ended up adjusting the 3PH "Drop Stop" so the back blade would stop an inch above the driveway surface.

Worked OK...but glad we are at the end of the season!

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #67  
It will be nice when the snow is gone and the mud has dried down.
I run the blade backwards much of the time when the driveway isn't froze,
it tends to kind of squeegee the snow off without digging in much
and I can still run at 5-6 mph with a 1/4 mile of steep driveway it takes awhile.

A 3 minute plus video just driving up my driveway after plowing,
kind of boring;

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #68  
_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20200301_121920.jpg

Not quite ready for chain removal. This pic was from last year before I put my chains on this year. Lol

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #69  
Oh well….spring has sprung. 52 today, rainy. Ground free of ice and muddy. I pulled all snow gear and chains today. Chains were wrecking havoc on the ground.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #70  
Well heck fire I sure hope I didn't jinx all in the northeast.
Had to do some driveway ditch cleaning, leaves making dams and diverting water out of the ditches and down the driveway.
Couldn't have that and with the driveway real soft didn't want to chew it all up with the chains,
so the chains are off the Branson 8050, they still are on the IH 574 though.