Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat?

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #51  
An old gentleman back in the days before I was an old told man me the best way to get old rusted nuts off was to let the plow or whatever set out in the sun until it rained and then get after them after the rain stopped and they would be loose. Tried it on a couple of things and it worked. Now I live in Texas and it's hotter than Hades in the summer and it doesn't rain often so one has to have patience:) I vote for an acetylene/oxygen torch and get the nut cherry red.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #52  
Have always had good luck with map gas/propane torch and pb blaster. Spray the stuck nut or threads with pb blaster, let sit for a couple of minutes, hit with the torch for a minute or two with map gas (doesn't need to be red hot) then spray quench again with pb blaster to quench/cool. Have done this a hundred times and it's always worked for me.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #53  
I don't own or need a full cutting torch set. Will the small Benzomatic Brazing Torch type kits (w/ oxygen) produce enough heat to get the nuts red hot? If so, any recommendations on a kit?

Thanks
Bernzomatic...boy you'll be there a long long time if the bolts are on large metal. Worth a try if you don't have oxy/acetylene

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #54  
What Indy said i used to work on roof exhaust fans rusted bad in the weather first thing we did was let it run emery cloth the shaft to remove pillow blocks. Any how kroil oil is the best we had it in gallon cans at work. But the kicker is HEAT, when you heat any part with Kroil oil on it the heat lets it get in every crack or crevis and will allow you to remove anything you are trying to get off I GUARANTEE IT !!

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #55  
ircole your don't have to wait for it to
rain just use a garden hose!
Many many moons ago I would use
an 18 inch crescent wrench and 18 inch
pipe wrench and twist the the bolt in two
didn't have time to mess with using liquid
wrench or torches etc.

willy

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #56  
Considering that the OP has expressed the desire to preserve the original fasteners in order to better the "restoration" of an old plow". A nut cracker or a cut wheel would seem out of line.

There have been threads on rusty fasteners previously. This thread has a single intent in the opening post.
Somehow I missed that. A lot of the other suggestions in this thread would also destroy the bolt, such as torqueing it until it breaks.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #57  
I usually don’t heat anything to remove it. Heat expands the metal and can make the fit or threads tighter. In disassembling rusty junk, a thin cutting wheel on a grinder or the small electric band saw work better for me.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #58  
   / Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #59  
As my good buddy that past use to say this is some good S**t! It really is some of the best stuff I ever have used. I always have a can handy.

If this does not work, hammer and chisel.

View attachment 710655
I have used Corrosion X, as well as all the others.
Kano Kroil is truly the BEST!
Transmission fluid mixed 50/50 with acetone is almost equal to Kroil.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #60  
Kroil and an air impact has worked well for me in the past.