Retaining walls and patio

/ Retaining walls and patio #261  
That was a lot of work for him.
I moved a 30 ft. long sidewalk that was only 2ft. wide when I was 21. I did it all with a 20 lb. sledge hammer, spade, a flat shovel and young muscle. It'd be undoable now.
While it was a lot of work for him, he had 5 kids. One of those 'character builders'. :ROFLMAO:

Every summer we did repairs, additions and new. When you're little, you carry the water bucket and tools. As you get older, you carry the cement and broken concrete.

/ Retaining walls and patio
Speaking of "by hand" ...

Attachments

• IMG-20211118-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211118-WA0001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20211118-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211118-WA0003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
This is the type of form work we are planning for the driveway. Probably nine six foot sections. Should be relatively simple.

Attachments

• bde47d6a7478ccf0ff5b87840ed1613e.jpg
    bde47d6a7478ccf0ff5b87840ed1613e.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 84
   / Retaining walls and patio #264  
That's an interesting way to form a driveway. And should match the rest of the project well.

That's an interesting way to form a driveway. And should match the rest of the project well.

I'm thinking it will also be less likely to crack since the sections will be smaller.

/ Retaining walls and patio #267  
It had cracks! Oh the horror! 😱:ROFLMAO:

Uhhhh, yeah... It's concrete, it cracks in the first 5 minutes...

Around here, frost would wreak havoc with your driveway plan. Too much water would get under there and it would be hard to make a base that was stable and drained well enough. I'm guessing freezing soil isn't a huge issue in San Diego? ;)

It had cracks! Oh the horror! 😱:ROFLMAO:

Uhhhh, yeah... It's concrete, it cracks in the first 5 minutes...

Around here, frost would wreak havoc with your driveway plan. Too much water would get under there and it would be hard to make a base that was stable and drained well enough. I'm guessing freezing soil isn't a huge issue in San Diego? ;)

Soil never freezes here and we get minimal rain. It's a very mild climate. The usual base here is compacted dirt although some like to use crushed rock, it's not really necessary.

/ Retaining walls and patio #269  
Yes I know it doesn't freeze there. That was humor, son. Just funnin with ya! 😁 :ROFLMAO:

/ Retaining walls and patio #270  
I don't have any concrete cracks in my driveway,,,, that I know of. I will have to look in the morning.

Not something that I would focus on unless something is growing in the gap.

Last edited: