Ripping roots with a tractor?

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #1  

RSR

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4145HC
Tooth rippers are common as a backhoe attachment. For example: Backhoe Ripper

It seems it should be pretty easy to mount something similar on a SSQA on a front loader. But, I can't find anything of the sort.

Another option would be a subsoiler type 3pt tool, but with a serrated leading edge. Again, I'm unaware of any such attachment.

Does anything of the sort exist for ripping/cutting tree roots using just a tractor (no backhoe)?

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #2  
   / Ripping roots with a tractor? #3  
@EverythingAttachments has a proprietary shank for their box blade and land plane, now if only they offered a similar pattern in a generic shank. *cough*

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...Scarifier-Rippers-p/eta-land-leveler-ws-2.htm

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #4  
Tooth rippers are common as a backhoe attachment. For example: Backhoe Ripper

It seems it should be pretty easy to mount something similar on a SSQA on a front loader. But, I can't find anything of the sort.

Another option would be a subsoiler type 3pt tool, but with a serrated leading edge. Again, I'm unaware of any such attachment.

Does anything of the sort exist for ripping/cutting tree roots using just a tractor (no backhoe)?
RSR,

Are you trying to get rid of trees, stumps or just general roots in ground ahead of grading for lawn / garden? My answer depends on your objective.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #5  
I have a Pittsburg single bottom moldboard plow. Remove the moldboard and it leaves a nicely curved single shank. I rip the roots up on Buck brush. Have to be careful around my ancient Ponderosa pines. Those roots can be big as your arm - and bigger. The plow has a spring loaded tipping mechanism.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor?
RSR,

Are you trying to get rid of trees, stumps or just general roots in ground ahead of grading for lawn / garden? My answer depends on your objective.
Stumps.

I have a Pittsburg single bottom moldboard plow. Remove the moldboard and it leaves a nicely curved single shank. I rip the roots up on Buck brush. Have to be careful around my ancient Ponderosa pines. Those roots can be big as your arm - and bigger. The plow has a spring loaded tipping mechanism.
It's (up to) arm size roots I'd like to be able to cut through. It seems it would be simple to out a serrated edge on a subsoiler so if you hit a root, you apply a little bit of forward pressure while lifting the 3pt, to cut/rip the root.

@EverythingAttachments has a proprietary shank for their box blade and land plane, now if only they offered a similar pattern in a generic shank. *cough*

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...Scarifier-Rippers-p/eta-land-leveler-ws-2.htm

Yeah, that's more like what I was thinking. It would be nice to get just one large one to replace the shank on a subsoiler.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #10  
My neighbor has one, but he just died. His boys are my age. I'll catch them and try to get a pic. You can pull a lot more than push. It was just a single shank on a severe angle. Worked very well.