Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper

/ Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper #11  
Gordon - How do you like your log grapple? I have an Everything Attachments specifically designed for smaller compacts. It has a single clamp on it with a small short stroke piston. So far it has been great for brush but a little lacking on logs (especially the size of those oaks you showed your machine lofting about). I just upgraded the piston today 1/2” diameter (biggest increase that would fit) so I am expecting 50-60% in clamping force - but it is raining now so I will have to wait to test it.

Nice Collection of man toys.......

/ Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper #12  
I have a used Bearcat 554 that I run with a Massey Ferguson GC1720 (19 PTO HP not including an altitude derate at 6,000 feet). I was concerned about the starting load but the little 3 cylinder motor handles it.

I really like the shredder feature, chips come out very small for fast composting. The brush going intomthe shredder literally explodes into little pieces. (

/ Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper #13  
Gordon - I currently have a manual feed Wallenstein BX62S. It runs on my M6040. I chip 800 to 1100 small pines almost every spring. Thinning and maintaining my Ponderosa pine stands.

I've had it nine year and NEVER ONCE had any plugged chute problems. Hydraulic feed would be nice if I had "twisty - crooked" material. My young pine are 1" to 6" on the butt and straight as an arrow.

I just feed them - butt first - into the chipper and they are gone. Never have to trim any limbs.

/ Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper #14  
Nice Dodge! Cummins? Nothing like a small dump truck for general work. Beats the pants off of a regular pick-up truck.

I have a baby chipper (rated to 4inches, but comfortable at 3") attached to a DR Field mower. 15 HP, no self feed. But it works great for my own work at home. I like having it seperate of the tractor, as I can load logs on the tractor forks. The DR is also so small that I can get around in the woods and chip up dead fall without clearing a path. Downside is the small piles have to be cleared by hand or loaded into the bucket of the tractor.

/ Running My Manual Feed BearCat 554 Chipper #15  
My Wallenstein BX62S pulls material in - hard and FAST. Once the tree makes contact with the chipper knives - it's gone. It's such a violent action - it's frightened many of those who have come out to help.

Kind of nice. Butt end first on a 4" by 30' long young pine. Must be quick to bring another up off the pile. Chipping is the most enjoyable part of the entire thinning operation. "Dragging to a pile" is the least fun. Dragging to a pile often results in falling to my knees. After a stand it thinned - looks like a giants game of Pick-Up-Sticks.