Rural trash

/ Rural trash #11  
get a 55 gal. drum and punch a few holes in the side. Makes a great burning barrell. When it's about 1/2 full you can dump and spread the ashes. We seperate all the metal and can goods before we burn and those we collect until we have a full can. You can then dig a pit on your place and sent them to the bottom. Once it's full cover up the last 2-3 feet with soil and dig a new hole.

It's a little work but not that bad....

/ Rural trash #12  
BFI (Browning Ferris)...$27 bucks a month... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Rural trash #13  
I think it sounds like a good place to start a refuse hauling company.
Big guys too busy, little guy gone. You could be the new little guy. Most area business like to spend there money local rather than to the big corporation. I am sure as you say, you are not the only one in the area with the problem.

That being said, there should be a solid waste district that you fall into. Might be a county or even regional. Check on your states web site. Should be some info there.

/ Rural trash #14  
We have the dumpsters strategically located every few miles. Helps keep littering down. Everyone is more apt to pull over to dumpster than throw it out window. It eliminates the ugly logging road dumps I see in other areas.

/ Rural trash #15  
Where are you located in West Illinois? (how about filling out your profile for us). I'm in SE Iowa and a lot of counties on your side of the Mississsippi still have landfills. If you're hauling it to your work and paying a fee, you might find it cheaper to haul it to the landfill instead. We have "city" pickup as part of our water bill (even though the city provides no water service /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) that allows us 1 30 gallon can a week and each additional bag requires a $1.25 garbage tag or I can haul it to the landfill for $3.00/ton.

Before burying your trash, check local regs. Many counties are cracking down on "private landfills", fines can be very stiff.

/ Rural trash #16  
"BFI (Browning Ferris)...$27 bucks a month..."

I have a BFI dumpster.. $61 bucks a month.. it's an expense.. but it's carted away every two weeks.

/ Rural trash #17  
I read this thread and thought it was about me. We can burn here, but everything else I take to a waste transfer station, and pay 12 dollars per month for the privilege. It seems the hauler won't take his truck on a rural gravel road, but he takes gravel roads to get to the dump site.

/ Rural trash #18  
I have a town landfill but could you split the cost with a family member or friend who does have pick-up. Maybe your employer or somebody could work something out with you.

/ Rural trash #19  
We take our trash to the county transfer station about once a month. It costs about $5, which is the minimum charge.. I think the rate is $53/ton. We have a couple of trash cans inside a Rubbermaid storage unit just outside of the garage. This set-up keeps the smell inside, and the critter's outside. We also drop off the recycling at the same location for free.

/ Rural trash #20  
We have a mandatory trash collection. You pay if you use it or not. I used to burn but two years ago the state pretty much put a bounty on burn barrels. Took out ads all over the state asking for people to fink on anyone they saw using one. I found that by recycling the newpapers and carboard (dump for free in town) I can easily get by with 1 can per week.

Harry K