Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #321  
Wrong in so many ways.. The government awards contracts to private entities via competitive bidding to build roads. The government don't build squat. Fuel taxes as well as Federal Excise taxes go to roads. I keep forgetting you are a government employee so your view is somewhat jaded.
I don't agree, because they spend the money, they are having roads built, which I believe is the point.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #322  
What did the government do to earn those dollars? Build and repair roads. This is done with fuel taxes.
You must live in the only area where roads are in good shape.
They also use the money for pork projects, like car museums, and anything else they want.

FYI, our income taxes are supposed to pay for gov't needs, not tax anything that moves.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #323  
I don't agree, because they spend the money, they are having roads built, which I believe is the point.
The point is, it was stated the Government builds and maintains the roads and that is not true. The government owns no road building equipment. Private contractors do and are awarded jobs based on competitive bidding, last time I checked at least.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #324  
The Governments, federal, state or local are the GC, the contractors are the grunts. Even private roads don't get built by contractors unless somebody hires them. Public roads don't get built without Governments. Governments build roads. And state, county and city road departments often do the maintenance and repairs themselves without hiring contractors.

As far as state and local pings for EVs to compensate for lost gas taxes, that's something the Feds should stop if they want to push the move. Add a 'tax' to the number of kilowatthours put into each EV, or maybe add something to tire prices when EVs need new tires, but don't apply that on Dino vehicles.

To me, that adds fairness to EV users. Why should someone who only drives their buzzmobile a few thousand miles a year pay the same annual ping as those who drive far more?

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #325  
They do basically nothing but postulate. Always remember... The government (Federal, State and Local) are the largest employer in this country, require the largest largess but produce no tangible product (other than a lot of hot air far as I can tell).
The government provides huge tangible products. Roads. Airports. Seaports. Shipping channels. Canals and locks. Hydroelectric power. Law enforcement. Emergency services. National defense. Vital statistics. Sewer and water. Land surveys and titles. Courts.

Government is vital to the existence of civilization.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #326  
The point is, it was stated the Government builds and maintains the roads and that is not true. The government owns no road building equipment. Private contractors do and are awarded jobs based on competitive bidding, last time I checked at least.
HUH ?? Must be those COUNTY(government) snow plows trucks are owned by private contractors?? :poop::poop::poop::poop:...You make me laugh..:ROFLMAO:..

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #327  
The government provides huge tangible products. Roads. Airports. Seaports. Shipping channels. Canals and locks. Hydroelectric power. Law enforcement. Emergency services. National defense. Vital statistics. Sewer and water. Land surveys and titles. Courts.

Government is vital to the existence of civilization.
Not really. The government (state local and Federal) uses your tax dollars (not always wisely) to grant contracts for private entities (contractors) to perform the work on a competitive bid basis. The government owns no equipment and don't have anyone qualified to do that work and they wouldn't anyway. Not about to get their tender hands dirty. Like I said, they provide no tangible product (directly) and never have.

Never seen any 'government owned' construction equipment anywhere, ever.

Good government is vital to our existence. problem is, good government is a rarity today.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #328  
What did the government do to earn those dollars? Build and repair roads. This is done with fuel taxes.
No, it's not. The Gov't throws all the money in one bucket and then spends it.

And here in PA the tolls from the PA Turnpike do NOT go to maintenance and improvements. It's just another form of tax that supports Gov't spending. And the tolls are high.

Last edited:
   / Saving Money as Prices Increase #329  
HUH ?? Must be those COUNTY(government) snow plows trucks are owned by private contractors?? :poop::poop::poop::poop:...You make me laugh..:ROFLMAO:..
Actually, in the town I lived in last the town was down to 12 DPW workers (from 40+) and used private contractors to plow most of the roads. The state hired private owner/operators and trucking companies to plow the State highway. So unless there was more than 4" (the level at which they called out the privateers) we lived with snowy roads for a day or so.

Here in central PA the township has even fewer workers. But the taxes are much lower.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #330  
No, it's not. The Gov't throws all the money in one bucket and then spends it.

And here in PA the tolls from the PA Turnpike do NOT go to maintenance and improvements. It's just another form of tax that supports Gov't spending. And the tolls are high.
Most of us don’t have turnpikes and toll roads, and gas taxes are not in one bucket. They are used for roads. In truth, gas taxes don’t fully fund roads, and general revenues are used to supplement.