Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #271  
My dad grew up during the Depression. He spoke of his mom canning meat and how good it tasted. Wondering if anyone is canning their meat and is it difficult?

Instead of freezing the meat.
i took canned meat sandwiches to school in a brown paper bag in the 40's. that's just what was done without elect. power .

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #272  
Sorry to break it to you, but clostridia, the source of the botulinum toxin is ubiquitous.
It even colonizes hard boiled eggs. It is estimated to be the cause of about half of all SIDS in infants, and the reason why you shouldn't feed babies and young kids honey.

+1 on @Jstpssng's advice to pressure can meat (and tomatoes, and anything else that is low acid like onions and garlic). Don't eat bulging cans or canning lids that aren't sucked down; botulinum again. It is lethal in the billionth of a gram per kilogram, or part per trillion level.

As a kid we canned lots of things, but meat and most of the green veggies were frozen. These days,we have a large freezer, and for insurance backup generators plural, plus...on the other hand we live in a wild land fire area between two major earthquake faults. A less than competent utility doesn't inspire much confidence. Without anything major, we have had 13 outages in the last six months for up to thirteen hours at a time. Hence, the belt and suspenders.;)

All the best,

Peter

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #273  
You really should use a pressure canner, rather than hot water bath as the latter doesn’t get hot enough to kill any botulism bacteria which may be present.
Water bath is OK for acidic stuff like pickles or tomatoes, maybe jam, but as you said 'most anything else a pressure canner is the way to go.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #274  
Beans and corn definitely should be done in a pressure cooker, but I prefer them frozen anyways. They suggest even using pressure for the the lower acid tomatoes which are available today, or at least adding lemon juice to increase the acidity. Time varies based on the food acidity.
When I started canning, my mother gave me a copy of the Ball Blue book, Ball Blue Book which can be considered the bible of canning. Since then I've given a couple away myself, to people who wanted to get into putting up their own food.

I remember as a kid watching my mother doing jam and simply pouring melted wax over the top to keep it from getting moldy. Opinions have changed a lot since then.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #276  
Water bath is OK for acidic stuff like pickles or tomatoes, maybe jam, but as you said 'most anything else a pressure canner is the way to go.
My grandmother water bath canned meat for years, and all she did was add a tbsp of vinegar to each jar. I don't know that she ever served any straight out of the jar, though. Botulin is unstable above 170 degrees, so if you bring anything to a boil it destroys the toxin and makes it safe to eat. I don't mean to suggest that's a good idea.

Pressure canning is the way to preserve fish. It will keep much longer canned than frozen. Of course you can pickle fish, or smoke fish too. Canned beef is really tasty, and a good way to use that tough old milk cow. The canning process tenderizes the meat, which is the big complaint about old animals. If you get that old trophy buck, I'd can anything that didn't go for sausage.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #277  
My dad grew up during the Depression. He spoke of his mom canning meat and how good it tasted. Wondering if anyone is canning their meat and is it difficult?

Instead of freezing the meat.
Canned meat tastes great. You can either can it straight or add flavor like sage. Pressure can only. The problem with pressure canning is that it's very time intensive. The batches take a long time. I have a friend who salvaged a huge old 1950s hospital autoclave to pressure can whole tuna. I have a cousin who cans a lot of fish, and he has set up his canning kitchen in his man cave, with a big screen TV. He can watch ball games while the canner is doing its thing.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #278  
Never heard of pressure canning...

Grandma would pour alcohol on top of her preserves, light it and screw the lid on at the Right time.

Hospital Autoclaves can be free or close to it...

Had several perfect older models sent out as scrap because they lack computer telemetry documentation with only basic disk recording...

How would a hospital autoclave be used.

Years ago legend has it the hospitals Autoclaves we're used for a fund raiser spaghetti feed... way before my time.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #279  
Combining trips to save on fuel. Nearly everything is 40 miles away. So it’s Civil Air Patrol, lumber yard visits and the gym in one trip. Also, using the COSTCO membership pretty heavily. Also, picking up work for the company that requires me to drive, because it pays mileage. This way my fuel is paid for when I go to work, and the mileage payment excess helps to pay for fuel the rest of the month. Granted I only drive to work three times per month, but every bit helps.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #280  
Two I know have trucks ordered and decided this week not to accept delivery in a cost saving move.

Apparently, cancelling new car orders isn't a big deal as some with orders pending and pushed back found other options at no penalty?

Going back to gas lines and rationing would change dynamics drastically but seems public is resigned to higher prices as long as product is available?