sawmill engine

/ sawmill engine #21  
That would have been a great converstion to have with Hank Kimball.

Reminds me of being in bed, you can't "turn over for some kind of pain", but you aint exactly dead yet either. lol
:laughing::laughing::laughing: I spewed my coca-cola when I read Hank Kimball.:eek: At least I missed the keyboard.:thumbsup: I am Hank County, your Kimball Agent. Loved that show!!!

/ sawmill engine #22  
I have an older hudson sawmill, it has an older briggs and stratton engine
model 185432 type 0235a1

Currently it will not turn over. I am going to replace the fuel lines this weekend, as they are looking old. I have a new spark plug for it too.

I have found a few places selling parts for it, but I can not seem to find the service manual for it.
Does anyone know the proper spark plug gap?
If you know that do you know if they ever sold an electric start for it?
Its a shot in the dark but I appreciate any help with it.
I emailed B&S but have not heard back from them.

Thank you in advance!!

Forgeblast,
How about some photos of your Hudson sawmill. I love sawmills. Mine is a bit newer. 11-10-19 Cutting Premium Yellow Pine.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine
Hi folks I got it running!! I think it was a few small issues that added up. I changed the oil, just need to anyway, drained the gas, it looked ok but replaced with 93, and replaced all the fuel lines. They were showing their age, cracked and one felt stuck on the fuel tank. So once those were replaced and refilled I worked on the spark. I could not find the exact specs for my engine, but I found a range from .022-.030. So I started low and worked up. Of course mine is .030 lol. It caught and I was able to mill up one log. Then I bumped the blade off and figured shut it down check everything and mill another day. So I hauled up a few more ash logs and will mill some more this week. Ill try to get a picture of my mill, It cuts like a dream all manual, the bed is 24' long welded up with another 8' section I can bolt on. The guy I bought it from was retiring and moving to warmer places and said he had it custom made from hud-son. My main issue is no real tractor to pull or put logs on it. My log arch is also 5'' to short to straddle the bed so its a lot of muscle and peavy work. to seat a log. The tractor will come eventually right now the payment for that is going into my kiddos college fund :)
Brandi thats an awesome mill!!

/ sawmill engine #24  
Hi folks I got it running!! I think it was a few small issues that added up. I changed the oil, just need to anyway, drained the gas, it looked ok but replaced with 93, and replaced all the fuel lines. They were showing their age, cracked and one felt stuck on the fuel tank. So once those were replaced and refilled I worked on the spark. I could not find the exact specs for my engine, but I found a range from .022-.030. So I started low and worked up. Of course mine is .030 lol. It caught and I was able to mill up one log. Then I bumped the blade off and figured shut it down check everything and mill another day. So I hauled up a few more ash logs and will mill some more this week. Ill try to get a picture of my mill, It cuts like a dream all manual, the bed is 24' long welded up with another 8' section I can bolt on. The guy I bought it from was retiring and moving to warmer places and said he had it custom made from hud-son. My main issue is no real tractor to pull or put logs on it. My log arch is also 5'' to short to straddle the bed so its a lot of muscle and peavy work. to seat a log. The tractor will come eventually right now the payment for that is going into my kiddos college fund :)
Brandi thats an awesome mill!!

Forgeblast,
Glad to hear you got her running. I know too well about college fund. Still paying on a 5.12% loan for my daughter.

Thanks. I will be cutting logs all of next week. I can't wait.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #25  
Good work Forgeblast. Put the mill to bed for the winter yesterday. No logs left to mill which is a good thing for me and the partner.

/ sawmill engine #26  
Forgeblast,
How about some photos of your Hudson sawmill. I love sawmills. Mine is a bit newer.View attachment 673339
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,
That is a fine looking mill. Is it a woodmizer? I have heard some pros and cons as far as the bandsaw blades coming into contact with metal objects? Not good for any type of blades but is it one and done? How much for a blade? Thanks!

/ sawmill engine #27  
Good work Forgeblast. Put the mill to bed for the winter yesterday. No logs left to mill which is a good thing for me and the partner.

The viking,
Heck, it is just now getting good enough weather here to mill all day. It really is hard for me to understand all that bedding down for winter. Like, I mean, my water hose stays out all year too.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #28  
Brandi,
That is a fine looking mill. Is it a woodmizer? I have heard some pros and cons as far as the bandsaw blades coming into contact with metal objects? Not good for any type of blades but is it one and done? How much for a blade? Thanks!

The viking,
It's a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide (cuts 36 inch wide) with a 35hp Yanmar diesel on it. I have ate nails before. In SYP, for me, one nail doesn't kill the blade ,but you want to change it because the blade starts to wonder in the cut. It basically kills the blade. Usually when I think a log might have metal in it, I run my metal detector wand over the log. It's just like airport security uses to check you for weapons.

I am just learning how long to leave the blade on before changing blades. Too long a duller blade zaps the blade life. Better to take it off and put a new one on. Woodmizer's Resharp service has a fast turn around. I have about 45-50 blades. They cost about $12 to 20 or so each. Depends on what tooth type and material blade you get. Also different blade thicknesses and blade width. I haven't sawed that long and have been sticking to one type of blade that works for me.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #29  
The viking,
Heck, it is just now getting good enough weather here to mill all day. It really is hard for me to understand all that bedding down for winter. Like, I mean, my water hose stays out all year too.
hugs, Brandi
We have temps below zero at times and 8' of snow on the ground at times here. Having a tractor , 1/2 mile driveway to plow and a 54" snowblower I am looking forward to winter as usual. 4 distinct seasons here!

/ sawmill engine
The viking: not ready for winter yet, but in a few weeks we will drain all the water lines to make sure they do not freeze. We have had some hard frosts already. Its a nice time of the year with out bugs. Our winter greenhouse has been planted so I am hoping for a few more weeks to make sure everything is hardy enough to make it through the winter. We use row covers inside the green house to keep the frost off the plants.
Sorry, its been a week of what feels like mondays so far. I have not been out to get any pictures. I went out to feed the ducks and forgot my phone too. Hopefully today. I also have to get the 318's fluids changed because that is my snow machine.