Tires Say WHAT!!

/ Say WHAT!! #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Something terrible happened to me this week. I was driving near a old fence row that I had torn out and I ran over something very sharp with the rear tire. It went flat in less than two minutes and I lost almost all my fluid. The tractor has less than 150 hours on it and I think it is too big to patch from the inside. :( I d@mn near cried.

26.jpg25.jpg24.jpg 23.jpg

Free Service Tire says they CAN NOT get the exact tire, TITAN 18.4 x 30 Radial, as it is OEM size only from Titan.:confused2:
So I call my dealer and he can get the tire but I have to buy the whole wheel with the tire, not just the rim. tire + wheel assembly + shipping = $$$$$

One other tire place said something about putting it back in a mold and through some sort of magic it would be good as new?

Bad news is its muddy and no one around has a 4x4 tire service truck. Good news is that I can do without it for a couple weeks. I am in no huge hurry to get it fixed other than the fact that I'm paying for it and I want it.

Am I crazy for wanting the same brand tire put back? I think it would matter less on a high hour machine.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts, opinions or comments here.

/ Say WHAT!! #2  
No, you're not crazy, I would want the same tire on also.

I don't know if would have cried, cursed or both.

/ Say WHAT!! #3  
As you have 150 hours on the machine and added to that the countless hours it sat on the dealer lot after it was shipped the decision is kinda moot as you need a new R1 bar tire and have to decide if you want a Titan and new rim to mount on it. A new replacement will be identical in rolling radius and tread design the only thing different is the name of manufacturer and the load rating if you do not specify the exact load rating as the original.

The other issue is that your tire has suffered a catastropic tread failure where the tread and bias plys have been compromised at the same time and the tire is unsafe to repair or use for that matter.

if you have calcium ballast in the tire you have to get it out of there to prevent rim damage and waiting 2 weeks for a repair is not good in this case.

there is no saving this tire as the play has been destroyed due to the puncture.

/ Say WHAT!! #4  
Something terrible happened to me this week. I was driving near a old fence row that I had torn out and I ran over something very sharp with the rear tire. It went flat in less than two minutes and I lost almost all my fluid. The tractor has less than 150 hours on it and I think it is too big to patch from the inside. :( I d@mn near cried.

View attachment 246395View attachment 246396View attachment 246397 View attachment 246398

Free Service Tire says they CAN NOT get the exact tire, TITAN 18.4 x 30 Radial, as it is OEM size only from Titan.:confused2:
So I call my dealer and he can get the tire but I have to buy the whole wheel with the tire, not just the rim. tire + wheel assembly + shipping = $$$$$

One other tire place said something about putting it back in a mold and through some sort of magic it would be good as new?

Bad news is its muddy and no one around has a 4x4 tire service truck. Good news is that I can do without it for a couple weeks. I am in no huge hurry to get it fixed other than the fact that I'm paying for it and I want it.

Am I crazy for wanting the same brand tire put back? I think it would matter less on a high hour machine.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts, opinions or comments here.

I would not be too quick to ignore what the other tire place told you about putting it back in a mold and making it as good as new...I had a nasty cut in one of my rear tires and I called a local tire company that fixes tractor tires and they are also re treaders...they make re tread tires...They came out and put a patch on the inside and refilled the tire and it was $100 even.... that was 2 yrs. ago and no problems at all since...I would really check out your options before giving up on that tire...Don't forget you can always patch the tire on the inside and get a tube...

/ Say WHAT!! #5  
OUCH..I as well would want same tire as other.

Couple weeks down time,ummm,good time for some tractor etc. pming.

/ Say WHAT!! #6  
I was looking through a trucking mag some time back and there was an add for a company called Badger. They take truck tires and repair damaged holes by repair cooking a section back in.

Another thought is to buy 2 new tires for the rear that are easy to purchase just incase you find anymore spikes.

Another thought is to put in a tube and put a strong flexible section of nylon rubber inside the tire first.
This section might have to be contact cemented to the inside of the tire.

I have done something similiar in my garden tractor on the front tires.I have thorn trees and the have punched my tubless tires too many times.
I found some sections of flexible rubber and I have put these inside my front tires with the tubes in next. These pieces are almost like ballistic flack jackets to thorns.

In my rear tires I am using SLIME brand tire sealer as they are still tubeless.

Craig Clayton

/ Say WHAT!! #7  
I think I would be tempted try the 'repair' route first.

/ Say WHAT!! #8  
Find that T post or what ever punctured the tire. I feel your pain.:(

/ Say WHAT!! #9  
There is an ag line tire service here in Michigan that shows 18.4 x 30 8 ply Goodyear tires for sale. Maybe they can get you a Titan. Look up Blue Water or Leslie Tire (they are now a combined business).

/ Say WHAT!! #10  
Contact Titan directly ... I believe they may have a "hazard warranty" as well they will ship the exact tire you need to the dealer of your choice.