SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes #51  
It痴 rather comical reading about the hand shovel comparisons. Them folks don稚 realize that there dedicated backhoe/excavator that can dig ten foot deep trenches with ease would only be considered hand shovels by the fellows who can dig a twenty foot trench and load a dump truck with the backhoe. Perspective is difficult for some.

Exactly!! And then again, to prove your point even more, that same large excavator that can dig 20 foot trenches would be considered a Tonka toy next to the dragline excavators that remove the overburden on the coal fields that supply coal to the coal fired electrical generation plants. You can drive a small car around in those buckets! And the boom is so far out and the bucket so far down that the operator has to use closed circuit tv to see what he's doing! :laughing: Yup, its all perspective.

Re: glorified hand shovel. I remember a few times thinking that things were going much to slow for some reason and I would get done much sooner by using a hand shovel. Going down in the hole with a shovel and jumping on the spade part would just about break my ankles. I couldn't believe how hard that ground was and that the so called glorified hand shovel was doing quite well for its size!!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #52  
^^^ Yeah, mine has dug ground that laughed at my foot and a shovel. I have a lot of gravel 2-3" diameter. A shovel instantly stops on those. And when 6 or 8 of them are together, they lock in so a shovel is useless. Li'L Blue just drags them all away in one sweep.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #53  
You don't have to look any farther than a line like D.R. that does a GREAT business selling their line of little toys to homeowners. Sure, like a little backhoe, they are usefull (I guess). I couldn't use one, anymore than I could have use for a FEL on basically a garden tractor. But I bet, there is more and easier money to be made selling more little equipment than bigger stuff. Probably same market, as would buy a ridiculously long "camping" trailer. Need, or amount of usefullness doesn't even come into the equasion.

This website, oh man, sometimes this website lol! A few months ago on a thread about ar rifles, some dude was arguing the most ridiculous bs with such conviction, I was like, he's GOT to be trolling!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #54  
Hardly BS. Maybe just the Truth. This little equipment works, but really for the amount of work it can do, is quite overpriced. But hey, like I said, when it comes to toys, cost often isn't a big consideration. Heck, sometimes the higher the cost of some "toy", the better the status symbol. Makes the Jones sit up and take notice!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #55  
Ahh, so now it's merely a price issue? Ok, so what should our toy tractorettes be priced at? :D

/ SCUT's with backhoes #56  
LOL-Obviously you have never owned one :) It is anything but a glorified hand shovel-info sure where you got that info. Without a specific criterea if you think about it they all are until you get to the ones with joystick control instead of levers-no matter what size it is.

And even if it is a glorified hand shovel(but it isnt) then so what? Saves my back and sweat and ticker. If your using it for making $$ then yes it makes sense to move to a mini excavator...I am not.

Tractor Time with Tim is just a gloried advertisement for products-its all based on his opinion as en estate owner......who the heck can afford 40,000 for a mini excavator that does what-only digs trenches and big holes? He is fortunate where they let him borrow these things for advertisement-I am not so lucky.

Here is yesterday’s episode where we dug our a stump with the 1025r and 260b backhoe.

Friend Rescue! Stump Removal Deere 1025R Hydraulic Backhoe Thumb! - YouTube

Yes, a mini ex is MUCH more functional than a small backhoe, but the backhoe can usually get the job done.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #57  
Oh goody, more veeedeeeoooos.

Who needs words, right? Maybe just abolish writing and typing altogether?

And the clicks for revenue, can't forget that.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #58  
My 2c. I read many threads like this 5 years ago when moving to our new property and looking at tractors. Lots of people chimed in that tractor backhoes are toys, you don't need one, won't use it enough, etc. Didn't have one for the first 2 years, and, after that, broke down and bought a J2720 with a hoe for a really good price. A few observations:

I'm very happy that I have a "dedicated machine" instead of an add on hoe. It's a PITA to get the hoe on/off, if I had it for my Kioti, I wouldn't use it nearly as much knowing I'd have to remove implement/attach hoe/reattach implement every time. In this respect, the posters were right, I wouldn't have used it enough as an individual piece of equipment to justify the price.

Now, where they were "wrong"? I love my hoe. Love it. Us it for all kinds of things, it's absolutely saved me time in urgent care (not trying to lift stupid things) and saved me $$ in rental (I do sometimes get a mini-ex for a few days, but, much less since I got the hoe). Having it hooked up, ready to go, wife gets 3 plants from the nursery, I'm getting it to plant. We have red clay here, digging a hole for a 3 gallon pot is exhausting, with the hoe, I'll do it all day for her, she'll get tired of setting plants out before I get tired of digging. Also, as an aside, when you have a hoe, you do a much better job planting, instead of digging a 3 gallon hole, I dig a 10-20, mix the dirt nicely, break up the compaction, and give the trees a better start. You can tell, the trees planted with the hoe are doing better than those planted by hand.

Adding a thumb, there are just so many uses for it. Cutting firewood, I'll grab the log, lift it, and start cutting. Ripping out vines/small trees, just grab and pull. Moving railroad ties around for landscaping, grab and lift.

I'm very happy I got it, and, I'm also confident, if I wanted out of it tomorrow, I'd get near what (maybe more) than I paid for it, it's a whole machine, ready to roll (and not just a hoe, those can be hard to sell because they are specific to tractor, you need to sell the tractor and the hoe). Also, I do use it for other things, it's much smaller and lighter than my Kioti, so moving mulch around, moving rock, etc. I think I've put about 50 hours on the machine since I got it, at this pace, it'll last "forever", and if I keep it up, I think I'm near the bottom of the depreciation cycle for it. But even if I wasn't, if I get 10 years out of it, and at the end of that time, it's worth 0 dollars (which is not going to happen), it still would have been really inexpensive per year to own this machine.

All that said, if you see a use for one, you will probably love it. I'd just say, my experience, buy a tractor setup for it (not something you plan to take on/off much), and you'll use it much more than one for your "do everything" tractor.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #59  
If you live in a country estate subdivision with 1 or 2 acres and want to do some HD gardening then a SCUT TLB is a nice machine that will fit in the garage and will be better than any riding mower you might buy at a big box store. If you live on a farm and need to move a lot of dirt or dig out larger stumps and dont want to spend all weekend doing it then a full sized construction TLB and a 60-80 PTO HP cabbed tractor would be the ticket. A regular SCUT with MMM for lawn mowing or zero turn if you want to mow acreage fast.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #60