SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes #61  
I posted earlier about my Kubota BX24 and addressed the original question. I chuckled when I read the references to glorified shovel. It might be, but it is so much faster and easier. I have a project next summer that will use my backhoe in an unusual way. I am going to rebuild a 5' retaining wall. The wall was made with Keystone blocks that use fiberglass pins for alignment. Each block has four holes and they make lifting handles that fit in those holes. Now for the twist on backhoe use

I remove the middle tooth on my bucket and replace it with an eyebolt. Then I rigged the two handles with a chain and hook. Now I can use my backhoe as a mini crane to lift the blocks on and off the wall. They aren't extreme heavy, maybe 70 pounds, but using the backhoe to move them is a back saver on this old body.

Doug in SW IA

/ SCUT's with backhoes #62  
I chuckled when I read the references to glorified shovel. It might be, but it is so much faster and easier.

LOL, it was exactly the "glorified shovel" type comments that kept me from buying one in the beginning (which, as I said in my post, turned out well, I really wanted a dedicated machine, not an add on to my "do everything" tractor). I don't know what kind of shovels you all have, but, apparently they're a **** of a lot better than mine! Glorified shovel? Would that mean my pickup is a "glorified horse" or "glorified shoes"? Because that's about how much my little backhoe has in common with a shovel. Sure, they do the same job, just like walking does the same job as a driving or flying. But beyond that, there's simply no comparison. A single scoop with my BH is probably 20 minutes of work with a shovel (red clay soil). 20 mins of back breaking, pick axe and shovel work. I can do it in 20 seconds with my little tiny backhoe. And yeah, I suppose I could get 4 guys to help me unload and position a railroad tie, but.. Again, is that comparison really even in the same zip code?

Glorified shovel? I suppose. And yeah, compared to a 10K excavator, it's a LOT slower and less capable, no argument at all there. But the difference between a shovel and my little backhoe is dramatically different than comparing my BH to a 10K excavator. If a shovel is a 1, my BH is a 100, and a mini-ex is a 200. Any backhoe is just leaps and bounds beyond the capabilities of a shovel.

Shoot, want to get silly, I can tell you that your 40K full sized excavator is a "shovel" compared to my bucket wheel loader. And, I'd kind of be right, but the time you got the bucket to the dump truck for the first time, I'd have filled it with a bucket wheel. :)

/ SCUT's with backhoes #63  
This website, oh man, sometimes this website lol! A few months ago on a thread about ar rifles, some dude was arguing the most ridiculous bs with such conviction, I was like, he's GOT to be trolling!
Yep, just like this thread is leading too. And the same people insist on having the last say. Eh

/ SCUT's with backhoes #64  
...I agree that a small excavator is more agile but our main place is a couple miles across and we can just hop on the JD 3038 and be anyplace on the ranch in a few minutes. The thought of crawling across to the back pens on an excavator is not my idea of fun. The JD 3038 wont win a race but it will sure get to the other side much faster than the excavator. ...

There is an answer to the slow excavator problem. :)

wheel excavator at DuckDuckGo

Bruce

/ SCUT's with backhoes #65  
And then there's this....what a price! 20191103_112950.jpg

/ SCUT's with backhoes #66  
Thats the way tp get one!

/ SCUT's with backhoes #67  
you dont have a loader? a backhoe would work great.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #68  
When I was buying my Mahindra tractor, practically all of the smaller machines had backhoes on or available, and the larger ones did not. I was told that my Max 26XL was the largest that was easily interchangeable between the MMM, backhoe, use of 3 point, loader etc. without changing mounting hardware. Hardware for all of the components could be left on while any other item was being used which provided quick changeovers and convenience. The next largest tractor, the 1526, could have a MMM or backhoe, but not both without changing major mounting hardware. I think the larger tractors are just more dedicated machines to one purpose or another and not intended to be the "swiss army tractor" for the average home owner or hobbyist. Basically if you would need anything much bigger than my Max for your tasks that you need a machine that is built for the heavy duty task, not a do all machine. You might pack a swiss army knife or gerber tool on a little hiking or hunting trip, but you sure don't head out to cut firewood with it. You use the tool designed for the job at hand.

I don't know if any other manufacturers work that way, but I am extremely happy with my Max 26XL. Sure, I have discovered it's limits in just about every aspect of its use with MMM, loader, backhoe, brush hog, and grader blade that I have. But every implement has been well used and very much appreciated. I absolutely wouldn't want anything smaller and could sometimes use something bigger and more ideal for the task at hand, but it is extremely versatile as it is and I have never regretted one penny spent on any of it.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #69  
Wish I had a backhoe.... however, my next tractor will. One would fit on my CK30 but I would have to remove my flail mower. I would like to keep that on there.
I have about 40 or 50 tree stumps to remove eventually and I'm not allowed to use dynamite.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #70  
Yep, just like this thread is leading too. And the same people insist on having the last say. Eh

That sounds exhausting. :laughing: