Securing entry door to pole barn

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
Hey all,

With current events im thinking of how i could secure my entry door to my pole barn. Its your typical door that locks but i feel like i need to do something else to make it less inviting. I mean it would be easy to do just break in. I don't want to install a steel door. My thoughts are to anchor in some eye bolts and run a chain from the top left corner, to the right middle and then left lower. Use cut resistant chain and a pad lock. My door opens out. It wouldn't be the pretties thing ever but I think it would be effective.

I have a overhead door that has a locking device on it. So i won't do anything with that.

What are your thoughts? What have you done?

With ***** extending the shutdown til April 30th I think people are gonna start looking to rob. Just reading some articles about how people are facing tough time already has gotten me thinking.

Thanks

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #2  
Put a deadbolt in the door, make sure there is nothing much in sight from the windows and make sure everything has insurance. Not much else you can do.
it's a pole barn, if someone wants to get in they can remove the tin on the side in about 5 minutes with a cordless impact, or they can take a crowbar to the roll up door and be in in about the same amount of time.

Aaron Z

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #3  
ACZlan kind of has it right. It is hard to strengthen something to the point of being physically impossible to enter. A better approach perhaps is to keep people out by intimidation.

My father will not even come to my house anymore. He went to grab a set of jumper cables out of my barn and forgot my dog was inside. She was sleeping, so when he opened the door, he had a 140 pound snarling Great Pyrenees staring him down.

That is a deterrent.

She has killed (2) coyote, and (2) fox, so she is pretty protective.

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #4  
im thinking of how i could secure my entry door to my pole barn. Its your typical door that locks but i feel like i need to do something else to make it less inviting. I mean it would be easy to do just break in. I don't want to install a steel door. My thoughts are to anchor in some eye bolts and run a chain from the top left corner, to the right middle and then left lower. Use cut resistant chain and a pad lock. My door opens out.

What kind of door are we talking about ... a normal 3' walk though pass door? Or a 8' rolling/sliding barn door? What are the barn/shed walls?

As noted, locks are for the semi-honest. The dirtbags will just take the side panels off, or drive a stolen vehicle through. You won't stop those that are determined enough.

For peace of mind, remember the phrase, 'Katie, bar the door!!'

s-l300.jpg

A couple of pieces of angle for brackets and a steel bar or pipe with a lock or two.

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #5  
Buy some dummy security cameras. 3 or 4 placed around in areas easy to see. Crooks hate pictures that look like their mug shots at the local law enforcement.

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #6  
Is it just a reg door or did you order it as a exterior door with welded hinge pins so you can't just take a screwdriver and pop them out.... If you make it look like fort knok people will know stuff is in there......

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #7  
All locks are just a delay for those determined to get in. A buddy had a cabin that was close to Park land and trespassers where an issue. Most where just curious and thought that there was nobody around and they could get away with climbing his fence and exploring. He left the door unlocked and nothing was ever stolen, but there was always sign that people had been inside his cabin. Another friend had a Shop in what is considered the "good" area of Oakland that he had 24/7 security monitoring, deadbolts and lock bars across every door, metal across the windows. The thieves cut holes in his walls faster then the police could get there, and ran off with what they could grab. That happened so many times that he finally gave up on that building and moved to another city.

I have cameras, dogs and deadbolts. If you don't live there, buying good quality cameras are probably your best option to catch who was there. There really is no way to keep out somebody that really wants in, or has enough time to keep destroying stuff until they get in.

/ Securing entry door to pole barn
Thanks guys for the ideas. The entry door is just a normal 3ft opening cheap door. The pole barn is close to the house. Id say 25 yards away maybe less. I was looking at audible alarms last night and i may go that route. I also may put up a solar light as I do not have power to the pole barn. I understand that a pole barn is a easy target which is why I may go with the audible alert system and not do anything else to the entry. I have some worthwhile crap in there. Tiller for my tractor, bush hog, log splitter, push mower, a some other crap. I keep my tractor in my house garage.

/ Securing entry door to pole barn #9  
I don't have much to add, but do I understand that the door opens out? Is it installed backward? If it opens out, I assume the hinge pins are on the outside, so there is no way to secure it short of a locked bar since the pins can just be pulled.