Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #91  
Here's something to consider. On my tractors, I welded two hooks on each bucket. One in line with each cylinder and they have a plated welded on the bucket underneath them. No center hook is welded on the bucket.

Instead, I just run a chain between the two hooks and hook a small chain with a grab clevis (slip clevis on the other end) to the middle of the chain. This way, the weight is distributed by pulling on two hooks rather than just one hook in the center. It also means the bucket is far less likely to bend in the middle. I have a 5520, 89HP Deere that I have this arrangement on and I regularly lift the maximum weight that I can (3000 #?) using only the method described. No center hook or clevis or whatever is needed.

I can't count the buckets I have seen with a hook in the middle that are also bent in the middle. The two hook and chain method would have prevented it.

I too often recommend that configuration to my customers, what I call the "Y" method, but you must be aware of the side load that's imposed on the hooks while doing this-the shorter the chain between the hooks the more side-load.

Just something to be conscious of while rigging, amount the thousands of other things. :)

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #92  
No, they are sealed bags.

Lot of distance between "Winston Products LLC in Cleveland, OH and China. Lot's can happen....... :)

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #93  
I too often recommend that configuration to my customers, what I call the "Y" method, but you must be aware of the side load that's imposed on the hooks while doing this-the shorter the chain between the hooks the more side-load.

Just something to be conscious of while rigging, amount the thousands of other things. :)

And those thousands of other things is how you prevent bending the bucket. :)

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #94  
kennyd--I've never looked at your bolt on hooks website before but it is very well done with nice pictures and easy to understand. Good looking products. Guys thinking of hooks should look at your pictures--and customer pictures--for ideas. It might save a lot of angst for people that haven't done a lot of hooks before.

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #95  
I put three hooks on my bucket. I skip welded a piece of flatbar under the hooks inside the bucket. The flat bar is welded to each side of the bucket, and skip welded under the top. My FEL will only get 1,300-pounds off the ground.

Attachments

• Bucket hooks.JPG
    Bucket hooks.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 226
   / Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #96  
kennyd--I've never looked at your bolt on hooks website before but it is very well done with nice pictures and easy to understand. Good looking products. Guys thinking of hooks should look at your pictures--and customer pictures--for ideas. It might save a lot of angst for people that haven't done a lot of hooks before.

Thank you :eek:

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #97  
I cut me a piece of 3/4" X 4" HR steel 71" long to weld on top of my bucket then fired up the old Millermatic 250 and welded my hooks on it, decided to put a hitch in the middle for my clevis that way I can turn it 90 degrees if I need to and it's not dedicated to just one position. I can also stick it in my other hitches if I need to. I need to put a fresh coat of black paint on the bucket anyway, this will be the perfect time to do it all!

Attachments

• IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 161
   / Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #98  
I didn't want to weld to my bucket so I got a piece of 1 1/2 sch 80 that fit perfectly thru the top holes on my bucket mounts and welded the hooks to that, thay'll move so the pull is straight with the throat of the hook. Pull the two pins and off she comes, no paint burnt, done.......Mike

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #99  
7018 is the best rod to use or you could use 6010.

/ Seeking advice on welding hook to FEL bucket #100  
Finally got around to cranking the miller bobcat and burning some 7018's. Had to do a little clamping and jacking to get it straight. The clevis can go either way and be put in backwards to get it out of the way. IMG_3373.JPGIMG_3376.JPGIMG_3380.JPGIMG_3383.JPGIMG_3384.JPG