Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges...

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges...
Thanks for the replies...I'll post a short missive on the niche market we are developing ASAP that may help explain our needs...

How about a shop vac driven vacuum table with 3,4 or 5 etc. ports on it to suck the board down...
Interesting idea but we are hoping to be able to use a simple mechanical concept...gnarly grained boards are going to stress the blade and the texture of most boards is really not suitable for making a vacuum seal...

Apparently you don't know what a straight line rip saw does, because that is exactly what they are designed for...
Actually we are familiar with automated rip saws...but again the typical straight line saw is not meant to just edge a single edge...it is not only not practical for our purpose it is still not the same as the "edger" SR posted pics of...

...Trying to use a "SLRS" for our purposes would be ludicrous when it comes to set up times for practically every single board...would completely defeat our intent...it's just not practical for our needs...
BTW we have 3phase power as we have several actual "edging" mills (bits, not blades) and molding machines...and a couple of old model Wadkin Bursgreen table saws...
FYI some of the boards we need the live edge removed from may vary 6" end edges through the length of the board...it is entirely unpractical to constantly RE-set up a SL rip saw for what we need...

Look up "Live edge trimming at the sawmill" on You Tube
Will do asap...always open to other ideas but we are dedicated to making this rail saw so...

I’m assuming your looking for straightness only and not “glue line cut quality”?...

Yes...just looking for a straight enough cut to run along a fence on a saw or edging mill...

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #42  
...Trying to use a "SLRS" for our purposes would be ludicrous when it comes to set up times for practically every single board...

There is ZERO setup time for an SLR. It has one blade, and you line up the board in the place you want to make your cut, most commonly today using a laser line. I think you are confusing SLR with a traditional sleeved gang rip saw.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #43  
A pic or video of what you currently have would help. I would think a couple of pneumatic cylinders and/or cams wedges would work. The trick is clearance for your saw carriage.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges...
A pic or video of what you currently have would help. I would think a couple of pneumatic cylinders and/or cams wedges would work. The trick is clearance for your saw carriage.
:thumbsup:
You have vision...unfortunately there is nothing to take a pic of...most of the mocked up stuff we've played with solving one thing at a time when we have the time gets broken down and added to the keep file...this is early stage design mode other than the basic concept...

I'm getting some great insight as I'd hoped...thanks for all the responses to date...Merry Christmas to all..