Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,481  
In 2006, I bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport. I wanted a manual. Could only find one in St. Louis, about 250 miles away.
Wow, that far back? I hadn't realized that.

The 73 Jeep Wagoneer shown in my post yesterday had a 4 on the floor truck transmission with granny low, same transmission as Ford 3/4 ton. It was Navy Surplus and apparently was built to government spec or maybe was the stripped down export version. No air conditioning. Manual steering. No power brake assist to the drum brakes, it took a heavy foot to stop. Manual-crank windows and tailgate. 304 V8 and 3.73 gears. Just plain Jeep with a station wagon body. Totally bulletproof. In that photo its resting on the HD hitch frame. I never put a scratch on it offroading - except under the skidplates.

The 88 Trooper in that photo was also M/T, 5 speed. Both my daughters learned to drive in it and did well.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,482  
They're computer controlled, super fast shifting, and probably integrate throttle control in the shifting action so that there's not a ton to notice between shifts. "Don't feel them shifting" is probably overstating it, but it's nothing like an older 3- or 4- speed unit.
So ten real mechanical gears behind a torque converter? Or instead of a torque converter, clutch packs internal to provide the slip getting moving from a standstill?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,484  
So ten real mechanical gears behind a torque converter? Or instead of a torque converter, clutch packs internal to provide the slip getting moving from a standstill?
All the Ford Super Duty trucks are a 6 speed or 10 speed with torque converter. I believe most manufacturers are using torque converters rather than automatically shifted & clutched manual tansmissions. Except for some of the sports cars, those have automatically activated single or dual clutch setups.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,485  
My '13 Rubicon is manual...every time I drive it is like a mini vacation.

Searched long and hard to find it.

Plan is to keep it long enough to be buried in it with a hand on the shifter, rather than build a 6' knotty pine box!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,486  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,487  
I don't believe it's even an option on American pickup trucks anymore. The 10 speed autos are more fuel efficient. You don't even feel them shifting.
You know just about every year I hear someone say this and every time I go test drive the new car/ truck they brag about. Result is every year I come home from that test drive totally disapointed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,488  
I recently asked a pretty good mechanic if he would buy a manual transmission these days. He said no. He said autos have become fairly problem free and that manuals did not have the design put into them as they used to have. He was a manual guy for years.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,489  
Like modern engines, I think transmissions, both manual and automatic have become very reliable. I would expect 200k to 300k out of either a manual/clutch or an automatic, if properly cared for. The catch is whether the automatic has the fluid changed periodically or the manual driver is reasonably skilled.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,490  
difference is when a slush box goes on a 3/4 ton truck it's a 5k rebuild and a clutch cost under a grand. Not on that manual car list was a corvette .I must be getting old I remember when I bought my vet the dealer showed me a auto I said you gotta be kidding me .

Everybody with real sports cars back then had the bumper sticker [I'd rather eat worms than drive a automatic] Oh god I've become my father, or even my grandfather. :eek: 🍻