sharpening mower blades

/ sharpening mower blades #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
If you are like me you prefer sharp mower blades. I like to sharpen them with each mow. So I cycle three sets of blades for my Ferris zero turn. But it's still a massive $#$&@&$#*% PITA~!!!!!!!!! I got these great grinder disks from PFERD, They are fabulous I got them in 2019 for my large and 4.5" grinders. I've done a lot of sharpening and mill scale removal and the disks I installed back then are still on my grinders. Unlike flap disks, if used correctly (Read Do not lean on them) they last forever and cut steel like butter. Anyway, I got a triton gizmo vice thing to do my grinding outside instead of the dusty shop. BUT STILL, it was a pita. Set the grinder down struggle to get the blade out of the vice flip it clamp it and bend over for the grinder.
Yah, I know modern problems; they built the pyramids with copper chisels and rocks lashed to sticks. Anyway I repurposed a hunk of a pallet to this and it's fast and easy. I did all three sets in like 15 minutes plus balancing Tools I made or purchased - The Axlotal Tank

/ sharpening mower blades #3  
I have to admit that I've never heard of anyone that sharpens their blades after every cutting. Not sure whether I feel inadequate or relieved . . .
Don't feel inadequate, I get by with sharpening once a year. I mow 3+ acres once a week for about 26 weeks a season.

/ sharpening mower blades #4  
Don't feel inadequate, I get by with sharpening once a year. I mow 3+ acres once a week for about 26 weeks a season.

Yeah. Me too. At the most!

Thanks for the reassurance . . .

/ sharpening mower blades #5  
If you are like me you prefer sharp mower blades. I like to sharpen them with each mow. So I cycle three sets of blades for my Ferris zero turn. But it's still a massive $#$&@&$#*% PITA~!!!!!!!!! I got these great grinder disks from PFERD, They are fabulous I got them in 2019 for my large and 4.5" grinders. I've done a lot of sharpening and mill scale removal and the disks I installed back then are still on my grinders. Unlike flap disks, if used correctly (Read Do not lean on them) they last forever and cut steel like butter. Anyway, I got a triton gizmo vice thing to do my grinding outside instead of the dusty shop. BUT STILL, it was a pita. Set the grinder down struggle to get the blade out of the vice flip it clamp it and bend over for the grinder.
Yah, I know modern problems; they built the pyramids with copper chisels and rocks lashed to sticks. Anyway I repurposed a hunk of a pallet to this and it's fast and easy. I did all three sets in like 15 minutes plus balancing Tools I made or purchased - The Axlotal Tank
Unless you're cutting heavy turf with sticks and typical debris etc...you should not need to sharpen blades that often...
...It is recommended to have a smooth cutting edge of about 1/16"...they should not be knife sharp...

/ sharpening mower blades #6  
I like the blade holder and will have to copy something. I don't sharpen that often but when I do it is blades for 3 60" decks, at least. 2 Zturns and the BX for the rough or steep stuff.

/ sharpening mower blades #7  
Unless you're cutting heavy turf with sticks and typical debris etc...you should not need to sharpen blades that often...
...It is recommended to have a smooth cutting edge of about 1/16"...they should not be knife sharp...
The Oregon blade 30-30 rule applies. Ground at a 30 degree angle while leaving a .030 blunt edge.

/ sharpening mower blades #8  
When things start cutting poorly then its time to sharpen.... Found out OREGON brand blades work a whole lot better and last longer than the JD blades for my riding mower... Sharpening them after every cutting session is a OCD problem, and should be avoided....

/ sharpening mower blades
Sharpening them after every cutting session is a OCD problem, and should be avoided....
I can Fly with sharp blades and I use less fuel. They get a little dull and I notice it right off. Not noticing it, is a problem with one's situational awareness and demonstrates acute mental disability. Discourage people from relying on you for important things.