Showroom Shock !

/ Showroom Shock ! #41  
The chip shortage can trace its roots back to the mid 2018 tariff war decisions that disrupted the semiconductor industry. That, and the covid virus are the main reasons why auto dealers are waiting for product.

/ Showroom Shock ! #42  
Both my local Kubota dealers have bare lots, just 1-2 tractors already sold. I was up at one of them the other day to buy pallet forks (Land Pride, got the last set) and a Kubota QA bucket (they had 6 of those in stock, sort of surprising since there were no tractors to put them on).

Salesman said they have waiting lists 8+ people deep for all the tractor models they normally keep on the lot. This is a large regional chain with 8-10 stores and he said the stores are pooling their wait lists to help even things out across the region.

Despite the lack of inventory he said last year was their best year ever and this year is on track to repeat or beat it. So I guess they are still selling a lot of equipment despite the fact that there is no inventory. I guess units are flowing to customers without spending time on the lot.

I remember previously, both times I bought a Kubota, you could walk around the back lot of the dealer and see dozens of tractors in crates stacked 5-6 high. There was generally one of everything on the lot to look at and try out, and many more in the back crated up.

Maybe this new situation is forcing customers into an "order and wait" rather than going around and kicking tires before a purchase. Even though I am familiar with Kubota, I'd never order a tractor sight unseen, I still need to look things over, sit in the seat, and make sure it's a good fit for me. Paper specs can only go so far for me.
I agree 100%. The phrase 'kick the tires' when shopping is what I want to do. Placing a 'pick up' order from my grocery store, buying furniture by looking at a picture, and buying big equipment without touchy-feely, is not me.

/ Showroom Shock ! #43  
I stopped by my local Kubota dealer this morning for oil & filters. They are one of the largest in the northeastern US. Their large showroom, which usually has more than 2 dozen tractors on display, was mostly empty! There was one lone USED L3010 on the showroom floor with a SOLD sign on it! Their lot, which normally has close to a hundred machines available, had only about a half dozen used tractors!

On a normally busy Saturday morning there are usually 6 sales people available but this morning, there was just one! He just shook his head and shrugged when I walked into his office. When I inquired about a new flexwing finish mower, he shrugged again and said he could put me on the wait list. Right now, the wait is 8 months!

I've seen low stock periods before over the years but nothing like this! Is this happening all over or just here in the northeast?
Ordered my new Kioti last Feb. It was delivered in Oct. Also the usually full lot was almost empty. Plus their was a waiting list for new tractors. Parts and attachments were"nt too bad a wait here in eastern Mass.

/ Showroom Shock ! #44  
I finally saved enough to buy another tractor. (Had to sell the Kubota B7500 when moving about 10 years ago.) But like the OP posted, empty lots. The only tractor I could find in the size range I was shopping for is the John Deere 2025R that I bought. Try negotiating price when there are no other tractors within 200 miles.

/ Showroom Shock ! #46  
WSJ article today about the 73 ships off of California. Our product shelves went empty, then we put in a bunch of orders, then a surge of ships show up, and it takes a while to unload them.

Why Container Ships Can’t Sail Around the California Ports Bottleneck
Well, additionally China has been closing it's ports for the last few months in response to covid spikes so you had a lot of material piled up on the dock waiting for boats so we could also be seeing some surge from that.

/ Showroom Shock ! #47  
I work for Kubota. They stopped our employee discount because of low supplies. We are getting parts now so we can service what is out there
I was very surprised when I bought my Kubota / Kneverland round bailer and Kubota gave me a 5 grand purchase discount. My dealer had to bring it in from another dealer a state over... Everything he gets in, goes right out but it's mostly the large frame Kabota's.

/ Showroom Shock ! #48  
bought my first tractor.It's a cub cadet 6284 with the 28hp cat diesel engine,front loader,154 hrs. (yes hour meter is correct),Paid $800.Added a woods mill wc-68 very lightly used for $2200.I'm all set.
I'll wait for the next recession to buy another vehicle, local dealer was selling Tellurides for 10k Over list price,crazy.But then I've never been one to buy new,I prefer near new.

/ Showroom Shock ! #49  
^ who the heck sold a 28HP front loader tractor for $800 ?!?!? did you mean 8 thousand? Good score.

/ Showroom Shock ! #50  
could not believe it myself, yup $800 bucks and It was a trade in at a dealership! go figure
All she needs is a headlight assembly if anyone can help with that.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 135