Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #81  
We bought some property in connecticut, about a mile from us. We bought a polaris ranger, used, for 7k. It will go places that no truck would be able to, especially crawling over rocks and roots. It also does better in the mud, and is far more nimble in the woods. Visibility is also much better. A truck might work for some, but our truck couldn't go all the places that the ranger will go with ease.
I can say that I have never been stuck off roading in my side by side.

Can’t say that about any of my Broncos or 4x4 pickup trucks.

Even if I did get the (1200 lb?) side by side stuck, it would be a lot easier to get out and back running than my old 4000 lb Bronco or a 5000 lb + pickup.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #82  
I’ve never got stuck with my 4wd field vehicles (Chevy tracker, 3/4 ton regular cab Chevy pickup, or Dodge Durango. The main reason for that, is that I try to stay out of the mud with them. I did have a very close call with the Durango last fall, but putting the pedal to the metal powered me thru the unexpected mud when I hit it.

I’m not looking forward to repairing the ruts that I made, later this spring, when that turnip field finally dries out.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #83  
Pulled the neighbor out many times before in his rtv. Just was asking too much. Quad was more appropriate for the mud holes here (or something with more clearance to avoid hanging up on the rock)

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #84  
Pulled the neighbor out many times before in his rtv. Just was asking too much. Quad was more appropriate for the mud holes here (or something with more clearance to avoid hanging up on the rock)

In the sleuthing business, my suggestion is to go around that mud hole. Perhaps the Jeep crowd looks at it and says to themselves, "Must. Go. Through. The. Giant. Stinky. Deep. Rutted. Mud. Hole."

Looks like a litmus test for who went to college.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #85  
In the sleuthing business, my suggestion is to go around that mud hole. Perhaps the Jeep crowd looks at it and says to themselves, "Must. Go. Through. The. Giant. Stinky. Deep. Rutted. Mud. Hole."

Looks like a litmus test for who went to college.
If say more like “young and dumb”. The first thing I did, when I got out of college and got a good high-paying job, was went out and bought a fancy new 4x4 pickup truck. I had my old 2wd pickup off the road plenty of times before that and never got it stuck.

With the new 4x4, I just kept pushing the envelope until I really got it burried really bad one evening. The trouble is, when you do get a big 4x4 stuck, they are in deep and are not easy to get out. I learned my lesson and have not repeated that mistake.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #86  
Well I guess he learned after I pulled him out 4+ times.
Got a quad and put the excess rtv cash away

As far as me “going around” it is easier to float the 15’ log I’m hauling for a project than winch/pinch it through the mile of woods. 10+ yrs here on the homestead, it isn’t all that big of a deal.

As far as college, I have no clue if the neighbor went? All the “elites” I know around here can’t drive stick ;)

Last edited:
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #87  
Well I guess he learned after I pulled him out 4+ times.
Got a quad and put the excess rtv cash away

As far as me “going around” it is easier to float the 15’ log I’m hauling for a project than winch/pinch it through the mile of woods. 10+ yrs here on the homestead, it isn’t all that big of a deal.

As far as college, I have no clue if the neighbor went but all the “elites” I know can’t drive stick
Would a tractor do a better job?

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #88  
^
I have done w tractor/chain
Then tractor and stone sled
Tractor with logrite arch
Atv with arch
Then tractor with grapple as above

Now either jeep with grapple/3point or Quadractor (skidder).

Jeep is bit better for fetching if I only have 12” of end to grab. If I can straddle then Quadractor is good (I keep the chainsaw winch handy if needed on the Q to position)

About everything worked. Jeep is just easy as you don’t have to leave seat and probably safer

Backhoe or flail live on back of tractor now so this is easy. Tractor could absolutely “do it all” tho

(Sorry op for drift, personally everyone should have one of each imho!)

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #89  
I live in the mountains of Sw Va. I have a 2000 f250, 2001 ranger, 2 Kubota tractors, and a Kawasaki Mule. 300 acres of mountain land. We heat and cook with wood. My mule can get back in the mountains and out while hauling an unbelievable amount of wood. I do not know how we live without it. It is an indispensable tool. Oh, and also a lot of fun.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #90  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
never never buy a side by side that isn't a 4x4...it costs a little more but it keeps its value for years..a 2 wheel drive doesn't