Simplicity Legacy Tractor?

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #41  
Any garden tractor will look bigger than it is if you get up real close with a wide angle lens. Don't know why these people even need a garden tractor because their lawns always look perfectly manicured. And nobody ever sweats in the marketing brochure photos, either.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #42  
Well, they must be on to something. It seems to work. Neighbor decided to keep x5 as 7 wasn’t much of a “step up” in his plow/mow/snow blowing abilities.

It was fun to drive and comfortable tho

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor?
The term "boutique" is a ridiculous one. There is nothing "small & fasionable" about the x7 series. It's one of the most popular garden tractors in rural areas. Certainly not rare to see one. Deere pushes it for what it is, a top-tier lawn mowing tractor that can also excel at snowblowing, garden tilling, bagging leaves, etc.

I agree on who this tractor is marketed to. It looks really weak when installing a FEL on it but if we are being honest that is the last thing it is designed for. If you need a lot of lifting capacity and we are being honest you need to be looking at other tractors. I would also argue that many people go with the X700 series for steep hill mowing over zero turns. With some models that have four wheel steering and 4x4 you cannot get closer to a zero turn that can mow in tight places. I do a lot of hill mowing so I have watched these machines for quite some time. It would also be nice to have something that could throw snow and do other small tasks which this tractor is up for.

Any garden tractor will look bigger than it is if you get up real close with a wide angle lens. Don't know why these people even need a garden tractor because their lawns always look perfectly manicured. And nobody ever sweats in the marketing brochure photos, either.
To be fair it depends on exactly what we are talking about here but most garden tractors are indeed much larger than their lawn mower counterparts. Just go look at the tire difference, weight difference, and how far the deck exceeds the frame. Look at something made by MTD with a 54" deck and see how far it extends beyond the frame, now look at an equivalent deck on something like a X700. I'm not saying you want this, because you obviously want the deck to extend beyond the frame as far as possible for maneuverability but strictly talking about size yes they are larger. Compare the X700 or Simplicity Legacy with any machine of their smaller counterparts in front of Wal*Mart or big box stores and the difference is immediately obvious.

Last edited:
Deere markets the Signature Series as a boutique mower, a status symbol, and while it is a capable garden tractor that doesn't change how it's pushed to the public.
I agree. It is very similar to how the Simplicity Legacy and zero turns are marketed. To high end customers and not commercial companies. This becomes very apparent because one of the key differences between the Simplicity zero turns and Ferris zero turns is the striping roller on the Simplicity machines. The Ferris only has a rubber flap and I have always wanted a roller. They figured it may not survive on the Ferris machines and they are onto something. I mow a lot of properties high and mow over things like large river rock all the time and it would probably destroy a roller over time. So definitely onto something.

I wouldn't say they are locked into that market though, nor did you say that. Like I said I have had my eye on one for quite some time because of the obvious advantage they would have over something like a zero turn on hills.

Last edited:
I would look at the Massey Ferguson GC series. My guess is the reason you don't see the legacy sold anymore is the SCUT took over that market.

Back to this. I am 'younger' so I like a piece of equipment that looks good. I must say I really like the look of the GC tractors. They are very sharp looking. I even found this video of this gentlemen that I would not say is mowing anything crazy steep but he is definitely on a hill and the tractor seems to be doing just fine with what I believe he said is a 60" deck. I have also been looking at Yanmar tractors.

Comfort is honestly big for me. So when I see people saying that the JD 2025r has smoother hydraulics and overall ride that definitely turns me on. If I am going to be on a job for an extended period of time it the more comfortable the better. I am also reading that there are two generations of the 2025r and I believe it is the newer generation that has quite a bit torn away from it.

The more I look into things the more I lean toward something like a Ventrac and one day just getting a much larger tractor that can do the stuff the Ventrac cannot. I have never mowed with a true tractor or a Ventrac. I think I am going to like the Ventrac better for the same reason people like the larger Grasshopper mowers. That is, that the mower deck is out front on the machine. I am still looking into the GC tractors, they look like very capable little machines.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #47  
What about a small Yanmar SA221 or SA324??

willy

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #48  
Yanmar has the 10 year warranty + discounts
Make sure you get on and test a bunch of tractors
before you purchase one then you know what your
getting no supprises!

willy

Yanmar has the 10 year warranty + discounts
Make sure you get on and test a bunch of tractors
before you purchase one then you know what your
getting no supprises!

willy

So I know being able to demo units varies by location, dealer, specific equipment etc but having that said should dealers have demo units of tractors like this? Like should they be willing to bring me one or lend one to me so I can mow my yard and move some stuff around or am I stuck messing around with it at the dealership for the most part?

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #50  
That'll depend. I don't know how many dealers will allow you to demo one at your home, it seems something killed that, and I'm guessing it's insurance.

That said, if they've got a lawn, you ought to be able to mow it. Also, see if they've got pallet forks, maybe they'll let you move some weight around to get a feel for the hydraulics.