Single Axle Utility Trailer

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
I’m about to pull the trigger on a PJ 7 x 14ft single axle utility trailer with a 5200lb axle to tow behind my 2006 Honda Ridgeline. It’s going to be used for hauling 16ft fence boards, metal roof panels, and dead trees and brush. I won’t be towing tractors or anything really heavy. The Ridgeline has a 5000lb towing capacity and I can’t upgrade the truck now because I need to buy a new tractor first.

The trailer is powdercoated and many seem to say that’s a bad thing but it seems like most trailer manufacturers powdercoat these days. I like the dealer and he’s pretty close for any parts and/or servicing needs.

Anything good or bad to say about PJ trailers or this size trailer for my tow vehicle?

Thanks!

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I love my single axle box trailers and I use them a couple of times each week... they are light but strong and easy on tires... we have some real switchbacks here that will peel a tire off a loaded trailer... I have seen it.

My single axle trailers are 4x6 with 3500 axle, 5x9 with #5200 and my small car carrier that will haul Model A and T's up to an early Mustang with a #5200.

For the big stuff I use my PJ dove tail with two 6k axles or my Enclosed Car Hauler...

The PJ is been great and tows exceptionally well... but it weighs 3 times what my single axle car hauler weighs... and that is the problem unless you already have a big truck...

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I pull a 16’ tandem axel with my Grasshopper on it with my half ton suburban and it works fine. I didn’t used to have brakes on the trailer and it pushed it pretty bad so I didn’t do it and used my ton but after fixing the brakes it worked fine. One thing I don’t like about a trailer this size that a smaller lawnmower trailer offers is I can’t lift the tongue of the trailer.

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Don't get powder coat, you will regret it in a few years. Also, consider moving up to a 7x16 with tandem axles -- the cost difference is minimal but the extra 2 feet and extra axle makes the trailer a lot more versatile, plus it will scale up if you ever get a bigger tow vehicle and have much stronger resale in the future if you decide to sell. A 7x14 is a bit of a bastard size for trailers, especially with a single axle.

When I bought my 7x16, my tow vehicle was my wife's (then) Acura MDX, which had a 5000# tow rating. The trailer itself is only 1600#, so that left 3400# of payload. I got a lot of use out of the trailer with the MDX and have no regrets. Years later I bought a full size truck and can now take advantage of the full 7000# capacity of the trailer (in fact I am several thousand pounds in surplus capacity now).