Single Axle Utility Trailer

/ Single Axle Utility Trailer #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I’m about to pull the trigger on a PJ 7 x 14ft single axle utility trailer with a 5200lb axle to tow behind my 2006 Honda Ridgeline. It’s going to be used for hauling 16ft fence boards, metal roof panels, and dead trees and brush. I won’t be towing tractors or anything really heavy. The Ridgeline has a 5000lb towing capacity and I can’t upgrade the truck now because I need to buy a new tractor first.

The trailer is powdercoated and many seem to say that’s a bad thing but it seems like most trailer manufacturers powdercoat these days. I like the dealer and he’s pretty close for any parts and/or servicing needs.

Anything good or bad to say about PJ trailers or this size trailer for my tow vehicle?

Thanks!

/ Single Axle Utility Trailer #2  
I love my single axle box trailers and I use them a couple of times each week... they are light but strong and easy on tires... we have some real switchbacks here that will peel a tire off a loaded trailer... I have seen it.

My single axle trailers are 4x6 with 3500 axle, 5x9 with #5200 and my small car carrier that will haul Model A and T's up to an early Mustang with a #5200.

For the big stuff I use my PJ dove tail with two 6k axles or my Enclosed Car Hauler...

The PJ is been great and tows exceptionally well... but it weighs 3 times what my single axle car hauler weighs... and that is the problem unless you already have a big truck...

/ Single Axle Utility Trailer #3  
I pull a 16’ tandem axel with my Grasshopper on it with my half ton suburban and it works fine. I didn’t used to have brakes on the trailer and it pushed it pretty bad so I didn’t do it and used my ton but after fixing the brakes it worked fine. One thing I don’t like about a trailer this size that a smaller lawnmower trailer offers is I can’t lift the tongue of the trailer.

/ Single Axle Utility Trailer #4  
Don't get powder coat, you will regret it in a few years. Also, consider moving up to a 7x16 with tandem axles -- the cost difference is minimal but the extra 2 feet and extra axle makes the trailer a lot more versatile, plus it will scale up if you ever get a bigger tow vehicle and have much stronger resale in the future if you decide to sell. A 7x14 is a bit of a bastard size for trailers, especially with a single axle.

When I bought my 7x16, my tow vehicle was my wife's (then) Acura MDX, which had a 5000# tow rating. The trailer itself is only 1600#, so that left 3400# of payload. I got a lot of use out of the trailer with the MDX and have no regrets. Years later I bought a full size truck and can now take advantage of the full 7000# capacity of the trailer (in fact I am several thousand pounds in surplus capacity now).