Skelton Hay Elevator

/ Skelton Hay Elevator #1  

Jep13

Tractor
TO 35 // MF471
I have a hay elevator with a 1/2 hp motor on it, the motor decided to die last night at the end of the last wagon of hay.
It is a Craftsman motor so I do not think it came with it when it was new. It is a 3450 rpm with capasitor. The elevator has no name on it. It looks like maybe when it was new it may have been red in color, now it is red and rust.
My question is would it have come with a 1/2 hp, 3450 rpm motor or is this been cobb together?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you

/ Skelton Hay Elevator #2  
elevator hp requirements.JPGMotor rpm is almost always 1725 and they should be TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled. This means that hay chaff, outside water won't get into the motor case and start a fire or short circuit. Also, only use a cast pulley because of heat effects.

Power required is length (16', 24', 32', 40' for example) and also height raised.

I use a 1/2 hp motor on a horizontal mow elevator and a 3/4 hp on a 28' length elevator inclined to 12' . The 3/4 hp starts puffing with 4 50 lb bales going up it. Take a look at the enclosed chart. Note the pulley size, too. My chain drive sprockets go about 1 rev per second.

Sounds like somebody re-purposed an old furnace or table saw motor onto your elevator...

/ Skelton Hay Elevator
Copy all! Thank you!! It is 32' and goes from the floor of the hay wagon up, which means it will be pushing the bales. So if I am reading this correctly I would need a 3/4 hp motor (TEFC).