Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid?

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #21  
   / Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #23  
Just about every tractor store around here sells chain hooks similar to what RustyIron posted... and they do work very well.

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid?
I have a blanket which is about 8 feet long. The cable is out 100 feet. Where does the blanket go for best safety? Btw I have a harbor freight 12,000 pound electric winch. Duty cycle is 45 seconds of use then 15 minutes of rest. I think those who review the winch negatively most likely exceeded that duty cycle by a gross margin.

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #25  
SO, at best, with any distance to skid, you can skid 4 logs an hour... lol

I guess that's ok, if you don't have hardly any logs to skid, and LOT'S of time to deal with them...

SR

Last edited:
   / Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #26  
I have a blanket which is about 8 feet long. The cable is out 100 feet. Where does the blanket go for best safety? Btw I have a harbor freight 12,000 pound electric winch. Duty cycle is 45 seconds of use then 15 minutes of rest. I think those who review the winch negatively most likely exceeded that duty cycle by a gross margin.
I'd ditch the winch and hook the log to the drawbar. That winch isn't made for that kind of work. It's going to be painfully slow.

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid?
Are the farmi Norse and Wallenstein winches subject to any duty cycle?

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #28  
I believe the best place for your blanket is near the item being dragged. The concept is that if the cable breaks it would normally be at the connection point so the blanket serves to absorb the snapping action. However I think if you have your cable extended far out and over rough terrain the blanket will probably pull off rather quickly. Of course if you have the blanket nearer to you then you can reposition it as needed and if the cable breaks well beyond that blanket point, the distance will likely absorb the snapping cable energy before it got near you. I really think the blanket is more logical for pulling something up close like a car on a trailer, etc. I would even say that a log with a short limb hooked over the cable a few feet back from the load might work as well for the log skidding application. The winch manual will give you the recommended location, my memory maybe faulty. And of course don't stand in line or too near the cable.

I also think that 15 minute rest period is for heavy strain on the winch. I doubt you will pull something that requires 15000lbs of winching capability, your tractor will be pulled backwards first IMO. If you are pulling a log that big you should probably cut it. Finally touching the winch motor early on in the process will tell you a bit about how hard it is working, don't wait until you have been using it for a long period, it might be extremely hot. Personally I like using one of those small laser infrared thermometers for checking the temperature of things, no finger touching and more accuracy. I use one to check my tires when driving on a long trip especially after a tire rotation or carrying a heavy load, etc. Comparing the temperature of the tires will tell you a lot about how well they are doing for the condition you are driving in.

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #29  
Are the farmi Norse and Wallenstein winches subject to any duty cycle?
Nope, they will keep pulling with full power as long as the tractor powering it keeps running, and beg for more!

I've never seen any heat build up any place on my winch, no matter how hard/long it pulls.

On an electric winch, they are making heat as long as they are running, more load, more heat... That's why they have a duty cycle...

SR

/ Skidding winch-- to skid, or not to skid? #30  

That's one of the reasons I don't want an electric winch and am leaning toward hydraulic, should I decide to get one for my needs.... duty cycle. Electric would be fine for getting a stuck vehicle out, but, man, it would not be ideal for pulling log after log or long hauls.

As for a winch blanket, I was always told to put it in the middle of the cable run.