Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
OP
P

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
So let me rephrase . . . I have a 16' enclosed trailer with the extra height package that my B series Kubota would fit into -- ROPS and all. I've wondered on occasion if I could haul it in that trailer.

I can see that I could lay 2"x10" material on the ramp-door to load and unload and keep from bending the rear door. My more pressing concern is that I don't have a way to chain it / strap it down without putting some serious holes in the sides or floor. I also don't think the floor is really built for this type of load but parking it on 3/4" plywood or 2" planking would resolve that.

My trailer has little D-rings in the floor. Nothing like the heavy D-rings and stake-pockets on an equipment trailer. You apparently have overcome the tie-down problem. Can you share your solution / approach or the hardware used?

Thanks.

I know nothing about the construction of your trailer to offer any insight. My trailer is a 7x16. It has the "tall roof" as well. The problem is the door header insofar as ROPS is concerned. There is no issue at all with the ramp bending on mine. It is heavy duty, and my trailer frame is 6" I-beam. It could support a car. In fact, my old PJ carhauler only had a 5" frame (C5).

I didn't use the in floor D-rings which came with the trailer. I have installed e-track on the floor and on the sidewalls for my motorcycles and all sorts of other stuff I haul. It has a working load limit of 3,000 pounds. That means 12,000 since I always anchor at 4 points - well beyond the weight of the tractor. It did not budge.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
OP
P

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I like Randy Ganns answer - post #23. My M6040 has a folding ROPS. So .... a folding unit on yours could be safely made. It has an outer collar that allows the top portion of the roll bar to swing down. I pause here for a moment while I toddle out and get a picture. The attached picture says it better than my words. The big bolt - in the middle - is the swing bolt. The pinned bolt on the bottom is the locking bolt. All that upper hardware belongs to my canopy.
View attachment 746514
Thank you for the picture. What I don't understand is what is holding the top to the bottom. There is something hidden that I cannot see.

OP
P

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I want to take the time to thank each and every one of you for commenting. I know I am not alone in my frustration with the height of this thing as it has caused issues for so many people, evidenced by the number of posts about people modifying them, and the fact that the industry finally decided to make them fold. It is just stupid high when it comes to clearing garages and trailers and things. I am going to continue to pursue all possibilities before I sell the tractor - which would be a last resort. I really do love it. It's perfect for what I want, save for the damn ROPS.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #44  

Gee Ray

Gold Member
Tractor
Bota L2501, NH TL80A
Sell the trailer and keep the tractor. Buy a trailer that the tractor will fit in.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #45  

CH4Ohio

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, JD5103, Kubota L5740
If you decide to cut the ROPS or modify it, thought you might want to take a look at the design of the early Kubota B series ROPS. Simple design with a flared-out socket that just drops over stubbed-up channel steel right above the fenders. Two big bolts on each side with easy access removes it or secures it back on. I've removed mine a number of times when working in an area where I didn't have enough headroom.

Easier to fabricate than a folding bracket setup. . . Will try to attach a pic.

Attachments

• Kub B ROP 1.jpg
    Kub B ROP 1.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Kub B ROP 2.jpg
    Kub B ROP 2.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 49
   / Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #46  

edmoor

Tractor
john deere 318
First off... .you gotta be smarter than a spudbar to figure out your issue.. then sit down and think about it. Some people can break an anvil with a feather.
I have a JD 790 I recently purchased. The ROPS is 3-4 inches too tall to clear the header on my enclosed trailer. In order to even fit, I took the ROPS crossbar off and had to try to flatten the tires to get it into the trailer. That worked, but getting it out turned out to be a nightmare. For some reason it "grew" once inside and it was again too tall. I did everything I could short of removing the rear wheels to lower it to just barely clear the door header, but the tractor still caught and did some minor damage to the trailer. I cursed myself for shoehorning the tractor in there and will never do that again. I was thinking that maybe I could purchase some smaller rear tires and wheels to put on when I need to haul the tractor somewhere, which is only a few times a year. Does this sound like a good plan so that I can utilize my enclosed trailer?

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #47  

MagicMM

Tractor
1530 John Deere M4900 Kubota
I have no concern regarding the ROPS Police so I drilled more holes in the bottoms and lowered it. They are a "fit all" anyway and I ain't 6' 6" tall.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #48  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
I have a JD 790 I recently purchased. The ROPS is 3-4 inches too tall to clear the header on my enclosed trailer. In order to even fit, I took the ROPS crossbar off and had to try to flatten the tires to get it into the trailer. That worked, but getting it out turned out to be a nightmare. For some reason it "grew" once inside and it was again too tall. I did everything I could short of removing the rear wheels to lower it to just barely clear the door header, but the tractor still caught and did some minor damage to the trailer. I cursed myself for shoehorning the tractor in there and will never do that again. I was thinking that maybe I could purchase some smaller rear tires and wheels to put on when I need to haul the tractor somewhere, which is only a few times a year. Does this sound like a good plan so that I can utilize my enclosed trailer?
Maybe two 2x6s under front tires would have tilted ROPS enough to clear doorway.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #49  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
If your ROPS is like these JD 790 photos I found, it looks easy to shorten the uprights without hurting the strength at all.

jd790rops1.jpg
jd790rops2.jpg

Bruce

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #50  

Shorteraaron

Tractor
Is mt122
Could you take it to a welding shop and have them cut and install the metal tabs to make it a foldable ROPS? Pond look hardened, but rest of it just looks like 1/4” plates welded and drilled.