Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #41  
Sell the trailer and keep the tractor. Buy a trailer that the tractor will fit in.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #42  
If you decide to cut the ROPS or modify it, thought you might want to take a look at the design of the early Kubota B series ROPS. Simple design with a flared-out socket that just drops over stubbed-up channel steel right above the fenders. Two big bolts on each side with easy access removes it or secures it back on. I've removed mine a number of times when working in an area where I didn't have enough headroom.

Easier to fabricate than a folding bracket setup. . . Will try to attach a pic.

Attachments

• Kub B ROP 1.jpg
    Kub B ROP 1.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Kub B ROP 2.jpg
    Kub B ROP 2.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 108
   / Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #43  
First off... .you gotta be smarter than a spudbar to figure out your issue.. then sit down and think about it. Some people can break an anvil with a feather.
I have a JD 790 I recently purchased. The ROPS is 3-4 inches too tall to clear the header on my enclosed trailer. In order to even fit, I took the ROPS crossbar off and had to try to flatten the tires to get it into the trailer. That worked, but getting it out turned out to be a nightmare. For some reason it "grew" once inside and it was again too tall. I did everything I could short of removing the rear wheels to lower it to just barely clear the door header, but the tractor still caught and did some minor damage to the trailer. I cursed myself for shoehorning the tractor in there and will never do that again. I was thinking that maybe I could purchase some smaller rear tires and wheels to put on when I need to haul the tractor somewhere, which is only a few times a year. Does this sound like a good plan so that I can utilize my enclosed trailer?

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #44  
I have no concern regarding the ROPS Police so I drilled more holes in the bottoms and lowered it. They are a "fit all" anyway and I ain't 6' 6" tall.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #45  
I have a JD 790 I recently purchased. The ROPS is 3-4 inches too tall to clear the header on my enclosed trailer. In order to even fit, I took the ROPS crossbar off and had to try to flatten the tires to get it into the trailer. That worked, but getting it out turned out to be a nightmare. For some reason it "grew" once inside and it was again too tall. I did everything I could short of removing the rear wheels to lower it to just barely clear the door header, but the tractor still caught and did some minor damage to the trailer. I cursed myself for shoehorning the tractor in there and will never do that again. I was thinking that maybe I could purchase some smaller rear tires and wheels to put on when I need to haul the tractor somewhere, which is only a few times a year. Does this sound like a good plan so that I can utilize my enclosed trailer?
Maybe two 2x6s under front tires would have tilted ROPS enough to clear doorway.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #46  
If your ROPS is like these JD 790 photos I found, it looks easy to shorten the uprights without hurting the strength at all.

jd790rops1.jpg
jd790rops2.jpg

Bruce

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #47  
Could you take it to a welding shop and have them cut and install the metal tabs to make it a foldable ROPS? Pond look hardened, but rest of it just looks like 1/4” plates welded and drilled.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #48  
Yes, I've been looking for a folding ROPS to swap out but didn't see one for the JD790.
Find a good fab man and have him design a folding ROPS and build it. It's not rocket science

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #49  
Don't overthink the problem or solution. if you have a welder and some basic skills you can fix this pretty easy. You need the tools, a section of square steel tube just big enough to fit over the current rops tube and some hardened pins .

Cut the current rops side tubes off about 8-10 inches from the top
Cut the new larger tube into two 8 inch pieces
Slip the large tube over the lower section of the rops so it overlaps by 4 inches and weld around the bottom edge, do this to both sides.
Insert the top section of the rops into the new tubes, make sure it is seated all the way down and drill holes for the pins.

Now you have a section rops that you can pull apart for transport.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #50  
Don't overthink the problem or solution. if you have a welder and some basic skills you can fix this pretty easy. You need the tools, a section of square steel tube just big enough to fit over the current rops tube and some hardened pins .

Cut the current rops side tubes off about 8-10 inches from the top
Cut the new larger tube into two 8 inch pieces
Slip the large tube over the lower section of the rops so it overlaps by 4 inches and weld around the bottom edge, do this to both sides.
Insert the top section of the rops into the new tubes, make sure it is seated all the way down and drill holes for the pins.

Now you have a section rops that you can pull apart for transport.
I totally agree, very simple and relatively cheap solution. A possibly easier but a little more expensive solution might be a pair of folding trailer tongue hinges like these. Google folding trailer tongue hinge and you will find several different manufacturers and sizes. https://www.etrailer.com/Folding-Tr...MI5cug-Zj09wIVOMLCBB1UhwFqEAQYASABEgKQc_D_BwE