Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
My sig tractor is a slightly modified JD 790. It has a folding ROPS. Not sure if the mounts are the same, but maybe you can change yours out or if not too much trouble, remove for transport. Battery impacts are awesome and fast. :)

I have called John Deere and all they offer is the replacement non-folding. Any information you could provide on your folding system would be greatly appreciated.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
I would guess that 90%+ of us haul our tractors on open flatbeds.
I always have, too. But in this case I want it inside of my trailer, hence why I posted in the first place. If somebody said they were having trouble clearing the door to their garage, a comment of "well I just park mine in a pole barn" wouldn't really be helpful, would it?

Another option is to sell this tractor and buy one with the folding ROPS. This thing is mint, but I want something that I can haul inside my trailer. I love the tractor but the lack of a folding ROPS is a major hassle in my opinion. My old Yanmar didn't even have ROPS and was easy to deal with.

Last edited:
   / Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #14  
I always have, too. But in this case I want it inside of my trailer, hence why I posted in the first place. If somebody said they were having trouble clearing the door to their garage, a comment of "well I just park mine in a pole barn" wouldn't really be helpful, would it?
Then you have an equipment mismatch with no satisfactory solution.

Then you have an equipment mismatch with no satisfactory solution.
Kind of. I may just sell it for something with a folding ROPS. It's looking like the best solution.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #16  
Kind of. I may just sell it for something with a folding ROPS. It's looking like the best solution.
I always liked those old JD 790s. Simplicity that works

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #17  
OK, you asked for outside-the-box thinking.

Find some ramps, or a hump, or make one with some dirt to see how high you need to lift the front wheels to lower the ROPS 4 inches. If it works on the ground then you could buy two sets of ramps bolting 2 together. This works in theory but you would need some dimensions or just test it out on the ground to know for sure

BTW, if it doesn't work, its a bad idea.
If it works, 4 ramps is a cheap fix that takes little effort to execute.
Good luck.

1652900532175.png

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #18  
That looks like (with some practice) you could quickly take it off and put it back on.
May I suggest a battery powered impact wrench?

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #19  
I’ve had to greatly reduce tire pressure to get antique cars in my enclosed trailer.

These are tube tires and my trailer has a built in air compressor to make it work.

Another option might be to build a ramp to raise the front tires if the tilt tips the ROPS back thereby lowering the height…

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #20  
If a Yanmar folding ROPS will fit on your 790 that would be the best way to go; the 790 is a solid machine, they're well loved.