Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #21  
If you are not a welder, I would guess that having a competent welder modify your ROPs to fit the trailer height (either shorter or folding) while still being safe to use would be less cost than buying new wheels and tires for the rear of your tractor.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
I was looking at my ROPS attachment point. Three large bolts on each side mount to the frame. Not to hard to reach with a breaker bar and socket.
I was looking at a Pic of a 790 and looks the same. Here is the PN for the ROPS, good luck finding one. Maybe a Yanmar dealer can get you one. Not sure about the cost.
PartsTree - Home of OEM Parts for Outdoor Power Equipment Just an idea. Good luck!

View attachment 746330

Cub Cadet CY-1A8160-85010​

Thank you. So is your Cub Cadet the same Yanmar tractor as mine, just painted a different color?

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
If a Yanmar folding ROPS will fit on your 790 that would be the best way to go; the 790 is a solid machine, they're well loved.

I agree. That is a perfect solution for me. I can remove and store the factory one, and if I ever sell it I can either swap and sell the folding or just send them both along. The replacement green one is over $2,000 now, which seems ridiculous.

If you are not a welder, I would guess that having a competent welder modify your ROPs to fit the trailer height (either shorter or folding) while still being safe to use would be less cost than buying new wheels and tires for the rear of your tractor.
I have a welder but I don't consider myself a welder. I could do it, but I don't have the time or inclination, and it would devalue the tractor and open up a can of worms if I ever sold it. I had a long talk with the local JD dealer and JD themselves. Nobody wants to even touch the subject, and they told me a professional welder probably wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole, either, for liability reasons.

That looks like (with some practice) you could quickly take it off and put it back on.
May I suggest a battery powered impact wrench?
Mine does not come off quickly at all. It's a major PITA. In fact, even taking off the crossbar took time because of all the threadlock and the fact that the steel bars are sprung. To get it back in I had to spread them apart, which sucked.

I'm looking for a workable solution where I don't have to do a lot to load and unload the tractor. Efficiency is nice. Removing ROPS every time I want to trailer the tractor is not something I am even remotely interested in.

OK, you asked for outside-the-box thinking.

Find some ramps, or a hump, or make one with some dirt to see how high you need to lift the front wheels to lower the ROPS 4 inches. If it works on the ground then you could buy two sets of ramps bolting 2 together. This works in theory but you would need some dimensions or just test it out on the ground to know for sure

BTW, if it doesn't work, its a bad idea.
If it works, 4 ramps is a cheap fix that takes little effort to execute.
Good luck.

View attachment 746327
This is interesting. I need to figure out how to calculate this on paper.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #27  
Without seeing your tractor and trailer I can only make a suggestion. Get a pair of jacks and lift the front of the tractor to see if the ROPS will drop. Soften the tires and measure the height with the soft tires and lifted front end and check the height. In order to get the tractor into the trailer you would need to build a ramp to raise the front end then add a platform in front of the ramps so that you can drive it past the door while keeping it elevated. This is only doable if the trailer is long enough.

OK, you asked for outside-the-box thinking.

Find some ramps, or a hump, or make one with some dirt to see how high you need to lift the front wheels to lower the ROPS 4 inches. If it works on the ground then you could buy two sets of ramps bolting 2 together. This works in theory but you would need some dimensions or just test it out on the ground to know for sure

BTW, if it doesn't work, its a bad idea.
If it works, 4 ramps is a cheap fix that takes little effort to execute.
Good luck.

View attachment 746327
So this won't work. I cut a piece of paper to scale for the tractor, taking the wheelbase and height of the ROPS into consideration. The front wheels would have to be at least 2 feet off the ground for it to work.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #29  
Another option is to sell this tractor and buy one with the folding ROPS. This thing is mint, but I want something that I can haul inside my trailer. I love the tractor but the lack of a folding ROPS is a major hassle in my opinion. My old Yanmar didn't even have ROPS and was easy to deal with.
Looks like the answer to me.
It worked on your old tractor just fine, take the ROPS off & store it until you sell the JD.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #30  
So this won't work. I cut a piece of paper to scale for the tractor, taking the wheelbase and height of the ROPS into consideration. The front wheels would have to be at least 2 feet off the ground for it to work.

You may be right and you have to buy into whatever solution you invest into.
BTW, there are factors or numbers that affect this. (how far the top of the ROPS) is behind the axle makes a difference and more the better.

Trading tractor or trailer may be the better option but were I stuck with this I might actually lift up the front to get a real number. No idea how big your front tire is but it still looks like the distance from the ground to the front axle would get you in the ballpark. Muffler might be an issue but that would be the worst of it once set up and the ramp could work as chock blocks if the incline on that side is steep. Maybe a good excuse to get a new one :unsure:

View attachment 746378