Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #21  
Many years ago had a customer that complained his combine started pouring black smoke, out the pipe, from under the hood, had no power and would barely idle. He wanted a fuel lift pump installed as he knew that was the problem. Went to him and changed the pump restated the engine with the same issue. As I started and restarted the engine no change, until one time after shutting off the engine I heard a POP. Then I knew what was wrong. The air intake was a vertical pipe that stuck up above the hood, on top of it was a plastic air intake that it appeared someone either sat on it or a bale fell on it. As the sun heated the intake it got weak and as the clearance was reduced when the engine was in the need of more air it would collapse and shut off the air to the engine. I crawled on top of the hood and pulled the top as high as it would go. when I left the owner was back cutting grain.

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle
All--

We are all good now!

I finally had a chance to get the tractor out of the garage today. If you remember, I thought the problem had fixed itself. WRONG. I cranked it up, backed it out and it seemed fine . . . until I put a load on it. (First gear, 2000rpm.) White smoke.

The air cleaner looked ok, but I pulled it out anyway. Into the shop I went and blew the paper filter out with air. Not a lot of dust, but some. I'm thinking this wasn't the problem and I'll have to look elsewhere.

Before I put the air cleaner assembly (paper filter plus the inner filter) back on, I cranked the tractor, put a load on it and what do you know? All good!

I put everything back together and went down the road about 3/4 mile and did about two hours of excavation for my neighbor with the backhoe.

THANK YOU TO ALL!

--Bill

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #24  
Before I put the air cleaner assembly (paper filter plus the inner filter) back on, I cranked the tractor, put a load on it and what do you know? All good!

I put everything back together and went down the road about 3/4 mile and did about two hours of excavation for my neighbor with the backhoe.
I'm glad you have it fixed but I am unsure what the fix was. Is your conclusion is that it was the air filter causing this? Color me skeptical...

If the air filter was blocking that much air flow that it could not make power, then "blowing it out with only a little dust coming off" seems inadequate.

Results = success.. but.... <shaking head> trying to understand how!

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #25  
All--

We are all good now!

I finally had a chance to get the tractor out of the garage today. If you remember, I thought the problem had fixed itself. WRONG. I cranked it up, backed it out and it seemed fine . . . until I put a load on it. (First gear, 2000rpm.) White smoke.

The air cleaner looked ok, but I pulled it out anyway. Into the shop I went and blew the paper filter out with air. Not a lot of dust, but some. I'm thinking this wasn't the problem and I'll have to look elsewhere.

THANK YOU TO ALL!

--Bill
If just blowing a little dust out of that air filter, seemed to clear the problem, I'd have to believe that filter is still packed with dirt, but cleared just enough for the engine to run better.

At the very least, replace the air filter(s) with new, brand name quality filters, before that engine gets dusted.

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle
If just blowing a little dust out of that air filter, seemed to clear the problem, I'd have to believe that filter is still packed with dirt, but cleared just enough for the engine to run better.

At the very least, replace the air filter(s) with new, brand name quality filters, before that engine gets dusted.
Will S--

My GUESS is that a clogged air filter produces a fuel-rich exhaust which generates the white smoke. The degree of white smoke represents the amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. More white smoke means less fuel burned in the combustion process thereby reducing available power.

--Bill

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #27  
Bill,
I agree about the cause of white smoke, but I also have seen air filters where the pleated filter material had ruptured and allowed dirt into the diesel (referred as "dusting the engine". For the price of an air filter, I would not be trying to save a buck and re-use one that is how old?

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #28  
Will S--

My GUESS is that a clogged air filter produces a fuel-rich exhaust which generates the white smoke. The degree of white smoke represents the amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. More white smoke means less fuel burned in the combustion process thereby reducing available power.

--Bill
White smoke is fuel rich? My observations have always been that unburned fuel produces dark or black smoke.

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #29  
White smoke is fuel rich? My observations have always been that unburned fuel produces dark or black smoke.
A quick search turns up lots of links. Here's one for the O.P. that sheds some light on the subject: diesel white smoke

/ Smoke, rough running and no power above an idle #30  
Their is a large mahindra dealer on i70 at the higginsville exit , Another one on hwy 50. If you search for mahindra dealers in mo quite a few will turn up.