Snow blower extensions.

/ Snow blower extensions. #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Looking at building a set of bolt on extensions for our Farm King Y500 snow blower. Need to make it 14" wider, so to 7" extensions will be needed.

We are going to use metal the same thickness as the blower.

Any pics or input anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

/ Snow blower extensions. #2  
several good posts, search for "snowblower wings"

Keep us posted, pics are required.

/ Snow blower extensions.
   / Snow blower extensions. #4  
Looking at building a set of bolt on extensions for our Farm King Y500 snow blower. Need to make it 14" wider, so to 7" extensions will be needed.

We are going to use metal the same thickness as the blower.

Any pics or input anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Oh Boy;

This issue is a big one with regard to the width of a snow caster.

The problem is the actual steel strength at the end of the snow casters side
weldment and the proper amount of overlapping steel to prevent bending as the potential for the binding of the open bearings exists as it is a single row ball bearing in most all cases.

The ideal would be to follow the bent design of an actual flail mower grass knive in attempting to make a set of wings for this or any snow caster.

The steel for the wing(s) would have to be heated to bend it using a rosebud torch and adding a pair of weldments to strengthen the steel weldment for use behind the wing(s).

The portion of the steel attached to the side weldment must be long in actual length to prevent any flexing or potential bending of the side weldment of the snow caster which would create potential binding on the open bearings.

/ Snow blower extensions. #5  
Oh Boy;

This issue is a big one with regard to the width of a snow caster.

The problem is the actual steel strength at the end of the snow casters side
weldment and the proper amount of overlapping steel to prevent bending as the potential for the binding of the open bearings exists as it is a single row ball bearing in most all cases.

The ideal would be to follow the bent design of an actual flail mower grass knive in attempting to make a set of wings for this or any snow caster.

The steel for the wing(s) would have to be heated to bend it using a rosebud torch and adding a pair of weldments to strengthen the steel weldment for use behind the wing(s).

The portion of the steel attached to the side weldment must be long in actual length to prevent any flexing or potential bending of the side weldment of the snow caster which would create potential binding on the open bearings.

Good point leonz. Something to think about right there.

/ Snow blower extensions. #6  
The One thing I forgot to add was installing a
pair of small pneumatic casters to the top edges of
the wing(s) to prevent the wing from tagging something
like a barn door or accdentally sliding into and dinging the
private Car of the CFO of the household AKA I know what your not
getting until your out of the dog house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Snow blower extensions. #8  
I hope that there will be some support from the outer edge forward to the tractor edge of the blower. If you get into hard windblown snow there will be a lot of strain trying to fold them back.
Might be OK if only used on a driveway that gets cleared every time it snows, but now and then I have to clear a previously unused trail to get at something, or widen the driveway a bit more than the last few times (when I was in a hurry)

/ Snow blower extensions.
There will be a support welded on each side, from the lower part of the extension to the lower part of the blower.

Snow gets blown every day, no point in letting it build up.