Snow Chain Recommendation

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #11  
Get Trygg or Aqualine european style studded chains, there is simply no comparison in smoothness of ride and grip. The Aqualine MPC's would be a good second.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #12  
I found that 2 link ladder chains for a garden tractor (MUCH cheaper) work just fine for me on the front.
I have a half mile private road, 1/4 mile drive & 2 neighbors drives I do with hills.
Real tractor 4 link chains on the back made the ride too ruff and were taken off that same day.
Don't seem to notice the 2 links on the front as far as ride goes.

/ Snow Chain Recommendation
Top portion is concrete slab.
Middle portion is sloped gravel.
Bottom portion is gravel but less slope.
Bottoms out on asphalt road.
I posted a picture of my front tire 28 x 8.5 - 15. Is this a difficult size to obtain chains?
What surface is your driveway? That will help guide the best answer.

Last edited:
   / Snow Chain Recommendation #14  
It may be - i have 27x8.5-15 and the choices aren't vast
I totally agree on the ride benefits on a euro or diamond style chain vs ladder- plus i think they last longer and are better for the surface they are running on- less likely to slip, grip,slip,grip
I found i had some choices in in diamond pattern atv chains- since front chains are cheap relatively i would try to buy some hardened alloy chains.
And at least groove the rears.
If the gravel is a significant slope i personally would chain the rears- i've taken a couple of rides i don't care to repeat

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #15  
Ladder chains are cheap but the ride is brutal. I'd go with the euro chains if I was doing it again.

I decided to experiment with studding my tires this winter, so far I'm pleased with the results. I went with low profile M6x18 studs, did all four tires for under $100. One stud in each lug on the centreline of the tire is giving me a surprising amount of traction.

Ladder chains are cheap but the ride is brutal. I'd go with the euro chains if I was doing it again.

I decided to experiment with studding my tires this winter, so far I'm pleased with the results. I went with low profile M6x18 studs, did all four tires for under $100. One stud in each lug on the centreline of the tire is giving me a surprising amount of traction.
Is there ever a concern that a stud could come out and pose a hazzard in the drive way?

I FINALLY found some snow chains to fit my front tires.

Though I have a tractor, the only chains that would fit are under the Truck Category.

Truck Tire Chains V Bar 28-8.50-15 w/Cam

Reinforced V-Bar semi/commercial truck chains provide an excellent choice. The reinforced cross members provide superior traction in mud, deep snow, and ice. V-Bar reinforced semi snow chains are manufactured to current NACM specifications. Single V-bar truck tire chains are used on light trucks and trailers.

Under $130 delivered to my door.

Thanks for all the help.

Yooper Dave

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #18  
was curious as to what they are but could not get the link to work

was curious as to what they are but could not get the link to work
Lets try this again - Light Truck, Ladder Style, every 4th link.

Cut and paste into browser if needed.

Yooper Dave

/ Snow Chain Recommendation #20  
Not to mention that lateral traction with ladder chains leaves a lot to be desired.

I started with 4- link V-bar ladder chains. They got me straight up and down my driveway, even when icy, but operating on any kind of side hill was a real challenge. After a few seasons with those, I switched to V-bar Duo-Grip chains. They had good forward and lateral traction, but the ride on hard surfaces was MUCH worse than the ladder chains. If you are operating in softer conditions, or staying at slow speeds on hard surfaces they may work OK for you.

I finally bought the chains I should have used all along. There is nothing that compares to the "Euro Style" chains. Mine are OFA Eko 8 chains.