Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #1  

swampy6

Gold Member
Foothills of The Adirondacks, New York State
Tractor
Mahindra 4540 4WD
Last winter was our first winter with a tractor which we used for plowing the driveway and trails leading to our wood stacks, our biggest snowfall was 22 or 23 inches overnight which the 4540 walked through without chains but the back tires are loaded (correct term?) with beet juice. 100_0006.JPG100_0005.JPG100_0007.JPG100_0008.JPG100_0009.JPG

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #2  
Welcome to TBN & the forum, swampy. You were definitely having some fun in those pictures.

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD
Welcome to TBN & the forum, swampy. You were definitely having some fun in those pictures.

It's my first tractor ever so everything is new to me but so far it's been fun. We got rid of the plow on the truck so the backups are the rhino and the JD826 walk behind snowblower.

I could never drive my grandfather's Ford 8 or 9N when I was younger (I have Epilepsy) but it's been under control since my late teens.

I keep the tractor greased and clean along with not beating it to death so we're hoping it will last us a very long time.

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #5  
Welcome to TBN.
Sounds like you are in the snow belt like I am. I also have loaded rear tires plus I use chains. It gets pretty slick when the base snow turns to ice and the chains help a lot. I adapted a truck plow to my QA front loader. Much faster than the bucket. And I have a Lorenz double auger blower on the rear.

Attachments

• DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN2002 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2002 (Medium).JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Welcome to TBN.
Sounds like you are in the snow belt like I am. I also have loaded rear tires plus I use chains. It gets pretty slick when the base snow turns to ice and the chains help a lot. I adapted a truck plow to my QA front loader. Much faster than the bucket.

We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks,the last two winters we haven't received the snow we usually get and once we do get snow the rain comes in making a mess.

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #7  
I know exactly what you are talking about, swampy. Last three winters we barely got enough snow to require that I plow the driveway. When we moved here in '82 I bought a new Ford 1700 4 WD - very similar to the tractor you have now. I traded it in for the new Kubota in 2009 and received $200 dollars more for the trade in than I paid for it, new in 1982. It was in premium condition and only had 850 hours on it - but it does show that with proper care a tractor can last a lifetime.

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #8  
Hey Swampy6,
welcome I remember that snowfall well .I'm in upstate NY also and that was a large snow fall dump. I had a HLA2000 blade on fel and a LA 2674 3 point blower on back of the L3540,,had fun that day.I'm located in a small place called Galway NY.
DevilDog
La2674- 1.jpg

/ Snow Removal with the Mahindra 4540 4 WD #9  
:welcome: to TBN.
I'd say you had the upper hand on old man winter w/that nice setup.:thumbsup:

I know exactly what you are talking about, swampy. Last three winters we barely got enough snow to require that I plow the driveway. When we moved here in '82 I bought a new Ford 1700 4 WD - very similar to the tractor you have now. I traded it in for the new Kubota in 2009 and received $200 dollars more for the trade in than I paid for it, new in 1982. It was in premium condition and only had 850 hours on it - but it does show that with proper care a tractor can last a lifetime.

I think it was two years ago we had a 24 inch snowfall the week before Thanksgiving, I wish that we had the tractor then. I buried the rhino but after getting that out I grabbed the JD 826 walk behind snowblower and spent the whole day clearing snow to the wood stacks.

You have a nice setup.