Snowblower sizing

/ Snowblower sizing #1  

johnsayen

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hello

if you have a 62hp tractor (L6060) with 53hp at the pto would you rather operate a utility snowblower rated for 20-60hp at the PTO or a larger, heavier commercial snowblower rated for 35-80p at the PTO?

cut widths are the same but the commercial has a bigger fan and auger and several hundred more pounds.

/ Snowblower sizing #2  
larger, your only 7 short of the max HP, the commercial puts you in the middle and far enough from the bottom where you should be ok, just make sure the weight is not going to push you around.

/ Snowblower sizing #3  
You mean they're both the same price? Same features regarding hydraulics? In a blower that size I'd think 24" fan is pretty standard -- not sure what you're looking at.

Also not sure where you're located, but snowblowers usually don't get used for a lot of hours per year.

Took me a while to finally find the right snow rig and blower. A lot of my decision was based on price / value. Changes in tractor led me to sell a 64" snowblower and move to an 84" blower.

You must be looking at a 7' snowblower, right? You need something that will at least cover your rear tire track.

I wonder what they consider a "commercial" blower? Do you plan to use it "commercially" -- like run it 15 hours per day when it snows?

So I agree that all things being equal, I'd rather have the heavier unit. But price would actually figure heavily into my decision on a snowblower. I don't think I could ever wear either one of them out as long as it's maintained reasonably.

/ Snowblower sizing #4  
PS . . . .

The other thing about snowblowers . . . they're the one piece of equipment that you can often find "used" that are nearly new. That is, a lot of people buy a snowblower after a terrible winter and then don't see any snow again for years. They get used for a few hours every year or so. With the 3-point version especially, where there's no engine issues, it's the same as a new machine. If it's been stored inside, so much the better.

It's common to see like new units for sale on CL or similar local sites.

Same goes for walk-behind snowblowers. You can buy like new units cheap if you just watch for bargains. Just can't wait till it snows to pick them up, so your timing is right!

Last edited:
   / Snowblower sizing #5  
A bigger fan clears/blows more snow.

/ Snowblower sizing #6  
The cutting widths may be the same, but it's very likely the commercial blower will process snow faster with a larger fan and number of blades.
I have a heavy duty commercial blower for my L4060 and it works when I need it.

/ Snowblower sizing #7  
I recommend the commercial blower. It should work better in deeper snow and last longer with fewer repairs.

/ Snowblower sizing
Here are the two model specs side by side:
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.32.31 AM.png

/ Snowblower sizing #9  
I think Kubota snowblowers are made by RAD in Quebec. They are good blowers from what I have seen.
The L4474 blower has the heavier duty gearbox and a bigger auger.
I am not sure what your winters are like but if there is much snow I would defenatly go for the heaver built one.

/ Snowblower sizing #10  
I'm confused. Didn't your question revolve around your PTO limitations?

Aren't these two snowblowers front-end-loader mounted front units? (I'm not sure . . . )

I thought you were looking for rear-mounted PTO driven units.